New from Qld, Australia

Discussion in 'New Members' started by CRfromQld, Oct 11, 2021.

1. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello. I'm a practicing Anglican from Anglican Church of Southern Queensland diocese.

I am concerned about what I perceive to be New Age teachings coming into the church, particularly through the teachings of Richard Rohr.

I'm also hoping to find a forum for Lay Synod members to meet and discuss issues prior to next year's Synod. I find that the Clergy and Academics already have networks established and come to Synod well prepared but lay members have no such network to back them up. Consequently Synod, although nominally open to all is actually dominated by the Clergy/Academic elite.

Othniel, Carolinian and anglican74 like this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    welcome… how do the laity in your parts feel about the propositions coming out of the clergy

3. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    Welcome. I am a fairly new Anglican from Victoria. I don't know much about the synod but wish you well in finding a network for yourself and the laity.

4. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Who is Richard Rhor and what does he teach?

5. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    He’s a Franciscan “spiritual teacher”. Apparently, he’s a universalist who teaches a kind of New Age, “God-is-incarnate-in-everything” spirituality. Pretty wishy-washy stuff.

Othniel likes this.
  6. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    I'm not really sure how I feel about New Age stuff. On the one hand, it might be better than being a dedicated atheist. Perhaps opening up to 'something' 'anything' spiritual might be a first step towards a deeper understanding of God. People change over time and go through many 'spiritual searches' before they are fortunate enough to find a 'home'. I was a Buddhist when I was a teenager because it seemed so compassionate and gentle, but that wasn't personal enough for me so I continued my spiritual search through other religions to become a Christian, and now am an Anglican. I am sure to the RC faith, Rohr must seem very heretical, but I don't really have a problem with him, he has his beliefs, I have mine.

7. CRfromQld

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's a mixed bag on both sides. There are propositions I support and some I don't . Some of the laity have views similar to mine and some think quite differently. The diocese covers an area of more than a half a million square kilometres, and more than 130 parishes so the laity don't have effective communications to know what others are thinking.

8. CRfromQld

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello Annie, I too went through a Buddhist stage and an atheist stage before returning to Christianity. I ended up Anglican because my wife was one.
    You have a point that opening up to 'something' 'anything' spiritual might be a first step towards a deeper understanding of God but the Anglican Church should not be teaching false beliefs.

9. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome @CRfromQld good to have another Aussie on board. It is interesting that a RCC Franciscan should be part of our race to the bottom.

Invictus likes this.
  10. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    in the church of england, I have noticed that the laity are markedly more orthodox than the clergy, and for many years voted down heterodox proposals such as women priests or women bishops (or now gay marriage), although of course not being officers of the church it has been hard for them to resist these changes on a permanent basis

11. strelitziaflower

strelitziaflower Member

Prefer not to say
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Welcome. I am South African.

I hope you have a beneficial stay here.

12. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome! I'm also from the Southern Queensland diocese. Richard Rohr is quite popular in parts of the diocese, and despised in other parts, but I think I've come around to thinking that might, in some ways, be on-net a good thing (obviously too much division is a bad thing, but a little bit of debate can be healthy). Have you seen this video from the Archbishop on Via Media? He makes some decent arguments for why it fits the Anglican tradition to allow debate for long periods of time until we all eventually work out the the right, middle-way answer without needing to compromise or bargain away truth for unity: