How do Anglicans feel about education?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by strelitziaflower, Oct 6, 2021.

1. strelitziaflower

strelitziaflower Member

Prefer not to say
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    I believe the education of especially children is a huge issue in the world, more specifically here in Africa.

I feel that parents are the primary educators of their children. There should be school choice freedom, the freedom to homeschool as well.

Integration into white schools is mandatory and rightfully so.

It is a fact of life that millions, not just a handful, of people are living in tin roof shacks with barely enough to survive in conditions where one could die from a broken electrical line.

Education prevents crime, increases life expectancy, lowers poverty and the prospect of abortion. Not to mention the heinous gangsterism and gun shots that threaten society.

2. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I don't know that there is an official Anglican position on education that extends beyond the right to knowledge of the Word.

But, I think it's one of the few selfless human desires to ensure everyone has the agency to self-actualise and achieve all of their dreams. That everyone has a "fair go". Hence, supporting access to education is a moral imperative that comes from something deep within our being, and we need to actively suppress that internal 'pull' if we want to oppose the right to education.

Questions on school choice and the freedom to homeschool seem unrelated to anything taught in the bible or in nature, so I don't think the Anglican church should have anything much to say about those issues.

3. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I do not think there is a particular Anglican viewpoint on education. However, I would say the majority of faith schools here in England are Anglican, i.e. Church of England. I do believe a good education is considered important by the C of E. I don't know if this still holds but you couldn't be considered for the C of E priesthood if you weren't a graduate.

I think in some circumstances homeschooling is right for some individuals. Therefore, I do agree it should be there as an option. Nevertheless, I firmly believe that being educated with your peers if highly important and valuable.

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    amongst traditional Anglicans you will find a lot of families with kids either in private christian schools, parish/anglican schools, or outright homeschooling... I know many of those myself, and my family are considering sending our kids to a parish school in our Anglican church... Morning and Evening prayer every day, Latin, high standards, uniforms, an ethical and virtue-based curriculum.... I am impressed!

bwallac2335 likes this.
  5. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    If at all possible I will never send my children to the local public cesspool. We are lucky to have a good Classical Christian school nearby

anglican74 likes this.