Slow responses

Discussion in 'Technical Assistance' started by AnglicanAgnostic, Sep 14, 2021.

1. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    When I log in and look at the different " new posts" on the right hand side it takes about 30 seconds for it to change and any new screen in general takes a long time. If I don't log in, the changes take only a couple of seconds.
    I also get a little black square on my top right with a "0" moving across it.
    Does any one else have this problem?

Invictus likes this.
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

Looking into it.

Invictus likes this.
  3. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Things have come right now, I think I know what caused it.

Invictus likes this.
  4. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    What do you think it was? The same thing happened to me.

AnglicanAgnostic likes this.
  5. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I'll Pm you.

6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    had something similar happen to me, was it a site maintenance or something

7. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Many of us face slowness issues. My wife tends to have a slow response when it's time to clean (the house, dishes, whatever). Sometimes she just sits there with nothing happening. I can't find the reset...

:laugh:

Jellies likes this.
  8. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I don't think so. It wasn't a problem just visiting but when I logged in it started going slow. I don't think anyone else reported slowness at the same time. And surely if it was a site maintenance issue we would have been told or warned about it.

I must be a new age sort of guy but I help my wife with the housework, so something always happens.

anglican74 and Invictus like this.
  9. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    It was just an attempt at humor, and truth be told I have been doing most of the cleaning around here for quite some time.

10. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    well either way it is gone now, for me at least

11. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Did the tech. people find out what the trouble was?

12. Phoenix

We have been upgrading to the next incremental version of the Forum software (Xenforo).

Looming over the horizon is the fact that xenforo is already on version 2, and we are still on XF1, an entire version behind. Our current theme (the colors and buttons you see on the forums currently) is only usable with XF 1: when we do the mega upgrade to XF 2, we will need to procure a brand new theme as well. So lots of work to be done. Our designer is trying to come up with something classy, and classical, from the Anglican heritage of design. Something inspired by the aesthetic of the Works on the main anglican.net site. Here are some sketches I am permitted to show, all incomplete and imperfect I’m sure. In short, there is a lot of work brewing on the Forums over the next year.

Attached Files:

13. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Nice. Good Idea. I like the Blue Screen Shot. Cinzel of Cinzel Decorative might be good Heading Fonts, a little bit fancy and a little bit classy and still easy to read. I am excited to see us moving forward. Will you like some of us to kick in some financial assistance to bring this about?

14. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Ugh. I like constancy and dislike change, particularly when the old constant is functioning quite well. Change for change's sake is like reinventing the wheel, in my mind. (I just want to gripe and grouse, but in the end when we all get dragged... kicking and screaming? :laugh: ... into the new version, I'm sure you all will have it well in hand and the end result will be fine, eventually, after a short burst of angst and frantic work at the end to patch what was not foreseen :rolleyes:. Isn't that how software rollouts always go? :laugh: )

If it tells you anything about me, I am still quite happy with Windows 7 and I still use the same word processing program I bought more than 15 years ago (I've installed it onto the newer machines as needed). :)

15. Phoenix

Change is always difficult! For us too. You would have to only get used to different buttons, while for us it means upgrading all of the software and getting new UI themes designed. Anyway I opened a thread to discuss the new UI theme.