Has anyone watched 'The Chosen'?

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by ZachT, Aug 14, 2021.

1. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I just discovered this TV series yesterday. It's a TV show covering the Gospel period in Roman Palestine, planned over 7 seasons (they're 2 seasons in). I watched the Pilot and I was surprised it's not terrible, the acting is acceptable, the production quality is quite good, the script is decent, they have some regular TV actors in bit-parts. I was surprised I'd never heard of it.

Apparently they're planning on doing the full Gospel over 7 seasons. I assume some US services stream it, but for those of us on either side of the two ponds it's also available to stream for free on their website.

Stalwart and Invictus like this.
  2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yeah from what I heard, they entirely crowd-funded it because no big-budget studio would take them on. Even now I don't think any networks carry them. They have their own app, just for their show, and they seem to be funding it all through immense affection from the fans.

Invictus likes this.
  3. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I've watched both seasons, and I like it quite a bit. It remains true to the Gospels for the most part, but it takes liberties with areas the Gospels do not cover (as is necessary for drama). The writing and acting is generally good, and sometimes top-notch. Erick Avari's portrayal of Nicodemus was absolutely superb, and Jonathan Roumie gives a pretty convincing portrait of a more down-to-earth Jesus who isn't above laughing and cracking jokes with his disciples. I'm not sure how I feel about the portrayal of Matthew, but I also don't feel that any of the portrayals are disrespectful or contrary to Biblical teaching.

This series stands head-and-shoulders above a lot of the other modern "Christian niche" programming, and it should stand as a model for other Christian creators and film-makers on how to do things. We don't need Hollywood any more.

The Chosen is fiction, but it's good fiction, and something even more rare these days: it's good family fare. I recommend it.

4. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Interesting that they chose that title, with Chaim Potok having a book of the same name, as well as a movie based on it (which is excellent, BTW).

5. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I have not even heard of it let alone seen it. In fact I cannot recall the last time I watched a TV. However, I'm intrigued and will start watching this on my computer.

6. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    I've watched both seasons and I liked it a lot. I will say I wasn't a huge fan of some of the liberties they took in season two but I still enjoyed the whole season overall. I'd say it's faithful to scripture and fairly accurate to the time period.

Stalwart likes this.