Anglican Benedictines?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Invictus, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It is good to have salt on the sandwich, but that does not mean I want a salt sandwich.

Shane R likes this.
  2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    One thing I like about the Benedictines is that it's the only monastic order from the Church Fathers. I'm really not impressed by the Dominicans or the Franciscans, there's some alien piety there, but the Benedictines, that's pure Prayerbook spirituality. I hope that the Anglican Benedictines don't feel the need to drink from the Tiber and will go rather straight to the Rule of Benedict and other late-patristic sources. Monasticism in a pure version of itself, is a really healthy and noble idea.

Dave Kemp, Br. Thomas and Invictus like this.
  3. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    If you’re interested in comparing the Benedictine Office to the Anglican Daily Office, you can use this site (select the “Monastic” option for the Benedictine version):
    https://divinumofficium.com/cgi-bin/horas/officium.pl
    I have used the Benedictine Office for years at a time, switching back and forth between that and the 1662 and 1979 BCPs. I’d be very interested to hear what you think of the similarities and differences. I have also used the traditional Latin Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and the Anglican Breviary. There are pros and cons to all of these. The Benedictine Office retains the most continuity not only with the pre-pre-Reform Roman Rite (i.e., pre-1911), but also with the Byzantine Rite and with Judaism (e.g. the daily use of Ps. 148-150 in the morning, as in modern Siddurim…this might be the only modern liturgical tradition Christ himself kept).
    https://theanglicanbreviary.wordpre...nd-the-book-of-common-prayer-teach-scripture/

Stalwart likes this.
  4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My friend, somehow you brought to my mind cheap bologna which, in the US, is primarily seasoned with salt and corn syrup.

Invictus likes this.
  5. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I had to read this post again because it seems to me to be lacking in logic. I could not understand why a group of Franciscans would follow the Rule of St. Benedict. St. Francis wrote his own rule for Franciscans to follow. Therefore, I found their website (http://www.fodc.net/) and looking at it find they do follow the Franciscan rule.

SarumPilgrim likes this.
  6. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Yeah the only orders I know of who follow the Rule of St. Benedict in addition to the Benedictines are the Cistercians and the Trappists. The Franciscans and the Dominicans, to the best of my knowledge, with maybe one or two caveats, use the secular Office and have their own regulations.

7. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    They also have their own rules. I don't know what Anglican Dominicans use. I believe the Anglican Franciscans have their own Office, Celebrating Common Prayer, which some other communities have adopted, e.g. The Society of the Sacred Cross.

I don't know about the Franciscans but in the Roman Catholic Church the Dominicans have their own rite. My understanding is it has not be revised post-Vatican II. I believe there are some Dominican communities that use their Order's pre-Vatican II rite. However, for the most part I think RC Dominicans and Franciscans use the post-Vatican II Roman Divine Office (a.k.a. Liturgy of the Hours) forma ordinaria authorised for use in the country where their community is located.

Invictus likes this.
  8. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I erred in my posting about Benedictine communities in the Anglican chain. I was incorrect in saying that Franciscans of the Divine Compassion in Athens, GA, USA, were Benedictine. They do follow the Franciscan Order. I mixed up my information. The Benedictines within the Anglican Community that I mistakenly omitted are at the Monastery of the Resurrection, which is in Daytona Beach, FL. They have planted a parish in GA at Holy Trinity Anglican Church in Flowery Branch, GA. I truly apologize for my misleading information.

PDL and Invictus like this.
  9. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Thank you for that. We can and do all make mistakes. It takes a good person to admit and apologise for them.

A person who claimed to be the superior of the Benedictine monastic community you referred to posted in the New Members forum on 27th September 2020 (https://forums.anglican.net/threads/hello-everyone.4047/). He reveived a number of posts in reply and was posed some questions. He never replied to any of them.

I have tried to find a Web site for them but they only seem to have a Facebook (FB) page and as I don't like FB I shall not be looking into them any further. I've never heard of them before. They don't appear in the Anglican Religious Life Yearbook. Some things this alleged superior said were strange. Indeed, some of the posts, to which he never replied, asked about some of these things.

Br. Thomas likes this.
  10. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I do not see the address of the church in Flowery Branch as being affiliated with The Monastery of the Resurrection any longer. I am trying to get confirmation or not from one or the other to determine if it is affiliated any longer or not. If I do, I will post it here. Our parish priest is not up to date of the status.

11. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Thank you!

12. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    If you want to dive deep, Bro. Monty is under an Abbot in Uganda, who is named Wenceslaus.

13. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I looked around today and Monty Pitts is now presenting himself as an Abbot. He's quite the Covid Nazi too. Don't visit his little monastery without being fully vaccinated and wearing 2 masks.

14. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Sounds kinda shady if you ask me. I am friends with him on facebook

15. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I'm glad I'm in the UK. I think I'm far enough away from this very dubious person.

I just found him on Quora, purely by chance after googling him, and he seems to dole out legal advice and advice on matters of astronomy. Common sense says his legal advice is plain silly. His advice on astronomy was simply incorrect.

I don't know what the aims of this man are but he doesn't seem like a genuine monk to me.

Invictus, bwallac2335 and Shane R like this.
  16. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Brother/Abbot Monty is tame compared to the Rutherford Cardinal Johnsons of the world. (Yes there is a vagante Anglican bishop in Huntsville, Alabama, USA presenting himself as a Cardinal.)

17. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    I just looked up Rutherford Cardinal Johnson and presenting himself as a Cardinal is the least of his claims. He is also apparently a prince, the Count of Sainte Animie, the de-facto sovereign of Vatican City, and also the successor of Pope Benedict XVI which now is titled Archfather instead of Pope. Here I was thinking the sedevacantist were leading the pack when it came to wild claims.

bwallac2335, Shane R and Invictus like this.
  18. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Last I knew, that guys real occupation was running a fried chicken restaurant. Having looked at his webpage this morning for the first time in about 2 years, his weirdness compounds with time.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
  19. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I need to look him up next time I am in Huntsville. He has some really sweet vestments. Who consecrated him?

Shane R likes this.
  20. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That, I do not know.

His chicken might be decent though.