Mary

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Jellies, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Jellies

Jellies Active Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Christian
    I have been studying church history, and from what ive seen, there is an upward Trend through the ages on the praise and honoring of Mary. I’ve seen fathers like st chrysostom talk about Mary’s sin, and yet apparently near the same time st Ambrose said Mary was without sin. The latter view seems to have won out through the ages until the Protestant reformation. My question is, why? The Bible hardly talks about Mary at all. You’d think it would say more but it doesn’t. Why did people start making all these theories about her and start mentioning her at every liturgy? It seems to me so alien from scripture, for a woman who is hardly talked about. No doubt Mary was the greatest woman alive, but I feel as though throughout church history Marian pieties have gotten a bit out of hand, and I can’t understand why, where this sentiment came from.

2. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    John Henry Newman suggested it was a development from the doctrinal clarifications of the 4th century. Basically, his thesis is that in the early centuries much of the emphasis was on Christ's mediatorial role rather than on his eternal Being, and that as the emphasis shifted toward the latter in the aftermath of the Arian controversy, other figures - such as his Mother - began to fill the gap. In his own words:
    I don't know if this is correct or not, but it was Newman's explanation, viz., clarifications in doctrine caused changes to the liturgy which in turn opened up new space in devotional practice for created mediators to fill. I'm not sure if I agree with it or not myself, but there it is. And this is all part of Newman's larger argument in the Development of Christian Doctrine, which anyone interested in the history of Anglicanism and English Catholicism should read, just because of the massive influence it subsequently had.

Rexlion likes this.