Do Anglicans pray to Mary?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by AnglicanUSGirl2, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    My understanding of intercessory prayer has more to do with the idea that we need others with a pure conscience to pray for things we're not able to see in ourselves or ask God with confidence, but I think it makes more sense with a living person than with a saint in heaven. Why? Well, if you can believe and ask for prayer for a saint in heaven to intercede then you have enough faith in the supernatural to believe in some spiritual world and ask God, as far as I'm concerned. For someone doubting their faith, but yet inspired by the continuing faith of others and asking them that if there is a God, that they'll pray for them when they are deficient in trust or faith, that makes a difference. We pray for the same things over and over again in our lifetime because we don't generally have enough strength as humans to trust in God all the time, so even if, say, I prayed for a relative's salvation over a decade again, but still pray for it again on and on so long as it hasn't come to pass, it's because I am regenerating or renewing my faith in God's fulfillment of something I am continually longing for.

2. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you for you enlightening words.

3. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Peterprint stated the case well - It is an issue of piety, not requirement.

4. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    I used to. I didn't make a daily thing of it, but I would pray it a couple times a month. Now, I pray the Anglican Prayer Beads.

5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I often pray the Hail Mary, in its primitive form (meaning without the portion added on at the Council of Trent "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners..." Though I have no problem with the Tridentine add-on). It is beautiful devotion reminding us of the Mary's singular role in the miracle of the incarnation of Christ. Given that the Hail Mary may have been in currency as early as the 8th century and certainly by the 11th century, it was a fixture of Anglican devotion for hundreds of years before the reformation. No reason that I can see not to return it to its former glory.

Invictus and Botolph like this.
  6. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Pour Mary! :)

But she is lucky in that way that she does not write in this forum.

It might be hazardous for her health. :tiphat: