Does the Anglican Community know name days?

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Silvan, Jul 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    You are wrong there.
    I am not proud of it.

But I am quite frustrated that something that I like and thought common knowledge should be so completely unknown and even ridiculed.

I just couldn't believe what I read here.

Invictus likes this.
  2. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic

Some new custom?

Excuse me for laughing bitterly.
    "new custom"?
    It is an age-old custom.
    Has been around for centuries.

Invictus likes this.
  3. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Silvan no one here has ridiculed name days. You asked a question, members of this forum have given polite and honest responses. You are being extraordinarily uncharitable with the interpretation of intent in their responses. No one is attacking you or your beliefs, no one is saying they are unworthy of recognition. You asked if we know or celebrate name days, we said no, and explained some possible reasons why that is the case. I think this thread has run its course.

Othniel, Rexlion and anglican74 like this.
  4. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I do think some of the comments could have been interpreted as being dismissive. I don’t think that’s necessarily what anyone meant to do, but it doesn’t seem fair to Silvan to imply that such was a product of his imagination. There were some unfortunate word choices that were liable to be misunderstood. I detect genuine hurt in his responses and I don’t think it’s just to dismiss them out of hand.

Silvan likes this.
  5. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Let me just say this:
    Yesterday was my name day.
    I did not celebrate it.
    But as it happened - by co-incidence - yesterday was a class re-union at Baden-Baden - near the Black Forest in Germany.
    And I had brought chocolates for everybody and told them that this was a present from my patron saint, the Margrave Bernhard of Baden-Baden. And everybody was happy :)

In case you are interested in my patron saint, you may click onto this link: :)

>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernhard_II,_Margrave_of_Baden-Baden <<< :)

6. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

The thread has been reported and seems to have run its course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.