American vs. Canadian BCP

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Invictus, Jul 5, 2021.

1. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I have a few questions for my Canadian colleagues as well as those who have knowledge of the subject:
    1. To what extent, if at all, was the Canadian BCP influenced by the American one (1789)?
    2. Is the Canadian BCP derived directly from the 1662, or is it, like the American one, dependent upon Scottish sources as well?

2. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
  3. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I'm not Canadian, but I've poked through the sources somewhat over the past year.

It seems to me that the Canadian Prayer Books have largely been gentle adaptations of the 1662 book. The communion prayers are English (down to the lack of Scottish-influenced epiclesis), the Daily Office didn't do the odd things the early American Books did... it was actually one of the primary challenges in making the 2019 Book, as the Canadian and American traditions (excluding the modern revisions in both churches) had ended up looking rather different and somehow had to come together for the first time.

Invictus likes this.
  4. Othniel

Othniel Active Member Typist

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Canadian itself is a revision of the 1662- one notable update is the addition of 'air' to the prayers for travel and militaries. Unfortunately, it also suffered from censorship in the Psalter, from single verses to whole Psalms.

The Book of Alternative Services is garbage, between its attempts to pass itself off as "not a Prayer Book replacement," which it ultimately has become, and its revisionist and historically ignorant commentary.

There is a great thread comparing the 1662 and 1962 here: https://forums.anglican.net/threads/resource-comparison-of-bcp-1962-with-1662.283/

Shane R likes this.