A new Prayer Book

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by GreatfulAnglican, Jun 22, 2020.

1. GreatfulAnglican

GreatfulAnglican New Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Anglican Christianity
    Howdy. As of late I have been thinking of obtaining a new Prayer Book.

As far as the daily office goes I have always found the 79 to offer a bit more in terms of options, but it has been years since I've even been in a parish that uses one and subsequently I put it aside.

Our family says matins and evening prayer from the 1928, but there isn't a whole lot of options for versatility.

I have not seen the ACNA or REC pb's and would be interested in hearing what y'all have to say about them.

Thanks for anything y'all provide.

2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    You can download the ACNA and REC texts for comparison.

http://bcp2019.anglicanchurch.net/index.php/downloads/

http://www.recus.org/resources.html

I'm in the UK and my church uses THE 1662 BCP for the Offices. (Congregational hymns and chants provide variation.) For personal use I prefer Daily Prayer from Common Worship as it provides greater seasonal variation and versatility in choice of Canticles etc.

There's a good online resource here that enables you to tailor the Office according to personal preferences. (Link is formatted for mobile use.)

http://www.stbedeproductions.com/breviary/mobile/index.php

Cooper likes this.
  3. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    I may get my ear bit off for saying this however, even though we're Anglo Catholic my parish still uses the 79 BCP. And honestly, I personally LOVE my BCP. I have not actually purchased the ACNA 2019 BCP ..... but I 'have' skimmed over it online. But for me personally, it's difficult to get the 'feel' of it unless I have a hard copy in front of me. Yeah, I know, I'm old school. As I always say .... I am by NO means a theologian. I'm just a regular Joe. These are only 'my' personal opinions. YMMV. :)

Dave D and Cooper like this.
  4. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I read these entries with interest. I am recipient of the newly published, "The Anglican Office Book". I have not gone through it completely, nor do I have any recommendations or critique of it. I am hoping others on here have been privy to its publication and can offer some sort of opinion, yeah or nay, on it as compared to other such publications. I am new to the world of the Anglican Catholic Church and I do know that the local parish-priest has good things to say about it, as does the Archbishop and Metropolitan Mark Haverland.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  5. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I really like the offices in the 2019BCP. It give you a mid day prayer and compline option

Br. Thomas likes this.
  6. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    If you liked the 1979 Office, the 2019 Office will be familiar; it's mostly the same with a few improved (rolled-back) translations of certain collects and canticles. And the lectionary is vastly superior!

7. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I am perfectly happy with the Church of England's Book of Common Prayer. I like the familiarity of the repetition of its various parts. I, personally, feel no need for all the options in Common Worship, which I give a very wide berth. I'm no great fan either of the Roman Catholic Ordinary Form missal but that's what we get in our parish.

8. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Wow. That's disappointing, to be in a Church of England parish that still uses RC printed materials for worship. :loopy: Is that your best local option?

anglican74 likes this.
  9. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Yes, it is if I want to go to a church that believes, as I do, that it is God's Will that Holy Orders is reserved to men (Latin: viri) only.

It wasn't. We lived in (in fact, still do) a wonderful Anglo-Catholic parish. Our good and faithful priest stayed on long after he should have retired on health grounds. However, he stayed because he knew what would happen when he left. His predictions were correct. The bishop swooped in with a re-organisation. Our parish was merged with two others. The other two kept their churches but ours was declared redundant. The shame is that everyone admits that ours was the most aesthetically pleasing of them all. It now sadly stands surrounded by weeds and is obviously going to wrack and ruin.

We now travel on Sundays (COVID regulatons permitting) to the closest Anglo-Catholic parish which seems to me to be stuck in a 1970s time-warp.

Shane R likes this.
  10. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Sadly, this seems to be a trend of things within this community. Godspeed.

11. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I consider the 1662 to be the "gold standard" but am perfectly happy using the 1979 in accordance with the jurisdiction to which I belong.

Dave Kemp and Br. Thomas like this.
  12. Dave Kemp

Dave Kemp Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Church of England
    We use the 2019 BCP here for church services in Illinois which I like, but I use my beloved 1662 for the daily offices. (I’m an Englishman)

Othniel, Invictus and Stalwart like this.
  13. Othniel

Othniel Active Member Typist

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    ANiC's bishop seems to be very keen on the 2019 for use across the province (of ACNA). I do prefer the 1662 but for a lot of the churches in across Canada, even having a single standard such as the 2019 is far better than the mess of the 1962, BAS, and multiple other revisions the ACC has.

Dave Kemp likes this.