Hi Everyone, from Gurney

Discussion in 'New Members' started by gurneyhalleck1, Aug 14, 2012.

1. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Holy Orthodoxy
    Hi Everyone,

I'm an Orthodox Christian, former Anglican from way back. I grew up Catholic, spent about 9 years total as an Anglican (conservative TEC that moved into ACNA) and grew frustrated with a great many things in not only American Anglicanism but the philosophy as a whole. My wife, children, and I converted to the Holy Orthodox Church just a few months ago.

Despite my passion for my new faith, the Orthodox Church, I have a fondness in my heart for the Anglicans I knew, worshipped with, and learned from. My old priest and bishop in San Joaquin were wonderful beacons of Christ.

i like to keep up with what goes on in Anglicanism from time to time. Some is good, some is like covering my eyes while "viewing" a car wreck in a badly-mangled twenty-car pile-up.

I have some good friends who are Anglican in "real" life and online. A few of you know me here already.

If anyone wants to ever talk not only Anglican "stuff," but also Orthodoxy, I'd love to be a resource. I think both faiths have a great deal to offer the world in an age of godless subjective morality and secular humanistic brainwashing.

I'm an independent politically. I tend to tick off my Republican and Democratic friends because I won't drink the Kool-Aid on either table. I'm a big sci-fi, horror, fantasy, comic book, Star Trek, Star Wars geek....ask Adam Warlock!

God bless you all,
    Gurney

Sean611, nkygreg and Toma like this.
  2. Robert

Robert Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    Hi Gurney,

I was a member of the Orthodox Church. I really loved it. Welcome.

3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome to the forums Gurney, you C.A.F. troublemaker! :p

I studied Orthodoxy for a year before deciding on Rome. The decision wasn't very firm at all, obviously, as I am now converting to Anglicanism. It's almost exactly the opposite to your story! :)

I'll enjoy trying to convert you away from the East, here on home territory. :D

P.S. SW fans and Trekkers must get respect no matter what! The Original Series & the Next Generation are tied in popularity for me...

4. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    On my journeys, I have looked at the Orthodox Church as well. I might have taken a more serious look except for the availability of a OC. Welcome aboard.

5. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Welcome, Gurney! So, glad you came to this Anglican Forum. I think there are important similarities between Orthodoxy and Anglicanism. I would certainly welcome an Orthodox Thread. We can all learn from one another.

Peace and blessings, old friend,
    Anna

6. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome gurney

So say we all!

Sean611 and Adam Warlock like this.
  7. Andrea

Andrea Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Hi gurney welcome to the forums. You kind of sound like the orthodox version of me lol.

8. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Welcome to the forum!! It will be nice having another resource on Orthodoxy! Many on here have had or are going through a similar journey to you own.

I guess it's time for me to "come out" as well, I love sci-fi as too. Last year I watched Battlestar Galactica for the first time....in my estimation, it ranks right up there with Star Trek and Star Wars....loved it!

Toma likes this.
  9. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Welcome aboard...