Another Week, Another New Guy Question

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by thatoneguy, Jun 2, 2021.

1. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Good evening to all. Just one quick question tonight.
    Is there an organization within Anglicanism similar to Opus Dei? I have not been able to find one, but I might not be looking in the right places. Thanks.

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    ssc may be close, though it is an organization of Anglican Priests. The Australian Website is here, http://sscaus.org.au/ and on the links page their are links to the US and UK branches.

thatoneguy likes this.
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I'm not at all familiar with Opus Dei, so I looked up info in Britannica:
    Membership and activities
    Opus Dei originally required new members to take a vow of obedience and chastity. Since the organization became a prelature, however, it has required only a contractual commitment to receive spiritual formation, which includes weekly classes (“circles”) and an annual religious retreat, among other activities. Members commonly practice self-sacrifice, which can include fasting and abstinence from certain pleasures, and self-mortification, such as the wearing of a cilice (which often takes the form of a spiked chain worn around the upper thigh), is not discouraged. New members serve a period of probation, which lasts at least five years, before they are fully admitted.​

I'm not aware of anything similar in Anglican circles. It sounds very works-oriented (which is in keeping with Roman Catholicism in general).

thatoneguy likes this.
  4. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It depends on where you are geographically. In the UK and Australia there are lots of religious societies to join. In the African context there are also plenty of fraternal societies. In the US there are some still left in the Episcopal Church but there’s a realignment toward ACNA:
    https://anglican.ink/2021/04/14/ny-nuns-quite-tec-for-acna/

thatoneguy likes this.
  5. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    No, I do not believe that Anglicanism has anything similar to the Personal Prelature of the Holy Cross and Opus Dei, commonly called Opus Dei.

I generally believe that Anglicans do not treat their faith in the extreme way that Opus Dei and a few other Roman Catholic organisations do.

thatoneguy and Invictus like this.