The Anglican Office Book

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Br. Thomas, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I have been lurking on these forums to see if anyone else has found or knows of the newly printed, "The Anglican Office Book"? It has as its editor Lance Davis. It is now printed and within the United States, sent from its publisher overseas, to the USA. It was sent to the US distributor and all pre-orders are awaiting its receipt. I am one of those that pre-ordered. Oh, the distributor is Saint Andrew's Store.

Has anyone on these forums ordered one?

The home-base for this new book, "The Anglican Office Book" is on Facebook. It is a public group page.

2. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I haven't ordered one but I remember seeing the hullabaloo when it was announced. It's looking like it's going to be too Anglo-Catholic for some (or a lot of?) people, but at least it looks like it's more Anglican than Roman. If I was serving a 1928-BCP parish I would consider buying it.

Br. Thomas likes this.
  3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I don't know whom this is for. It seems to be for those people who like to dress up and LARP as medieval anglicans.

4. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I understand it to be a culmination or joining of various works into one for simplicity sake. This, per Lance Davis, the editor.

5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think most of the people I know who are anticipating delivery of this book have a fondness for the Missal and view it as a supplement to that book. Or they like to dabble in the monastic hours. We do have a few actual monastics among our clergy but many more people who like to experiment with monastic practices.

I put this work in the same category as the Missal, A Manual for Priests, or the Saint Augustine's Prayer Book. That is to say, supplementary material primarily oriented to Anglo-Catholics.

Br. Thomas likes this.
  6. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Anyone know where you can buy it? I might want to take a look at it

7. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    The site for purchase is posted on the Facebook page for The Anglican Office Book.

8. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Some time ago, it was announced that there will be a Second Edition of the Anglican Office Book. The new edition will include what is in the first, plus the Apocrypha and KJV, with the Apocrypha being printed between the AOB and the KJV. Its goal for printing is February or March of 2022.

9. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Is this simply a re-print of the Anglican Office Book, which I believe has existed for some time, or is this a new edition?

10. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Let's make sure we don't sell short the traditional (Monastic) breviary, while we're on the subject of Office books.

bwallac2335 likes this.
  11. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    The first edition was a newly created one, done by Lance Davis, as editor. It was endorsed by Archbishop/Metropolitan of the ACC, Mark Haverland and also by The Rt. Rev. Dr. Keith L. Ackerman, VIII Bishop of Quincy, The Anglican Church in North America.

The second edition was compiled to ease use of the Matins and Evensong of the Book of Common Prayer by adding the Apocrypha and KJV into one volume.

12. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    It can be purchased from Saint Andrews Store online. There is also a Facebook page for Anglican Office Book. I do not know if I am permitted to post a commercial link on this forum.

13. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I believe you are so you can direct fellow members to books, religious items, etc. online. It would help if you did because I can't find what you're referring to. I've found that googling "Saint Andrews Store" brings up a lot of hits for the University of St Andrews in St Andrews, Scotland plus innumerable golfing shops in or near St Andrews, Scotland.

Matthew J Taylor likes this.
  14. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Invictus likes this.
  15. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England