Apparently I'm New Here

Discussion in 'New Members' started by thatoneguy, Apr 8, 2021.

1. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I found I have an account here during a google password audit...and had no idea.
    However, I am in the middle of a "church crisis", where I'm looking to leave my current denomination (LDS, a.k.a. Mormon). I find myself drawn to Anglicanism/Episcopalianism. So I'll be hanging around, asking some questions, and trying to learn.
    I apologize for the screen name, but you know how it is...

Cheers

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Wecome and stick around. Some of us are curious and may like to ask you some questions about the CofJCofLDS and why you are looking for a new home. I'm sure we can accomodate whatever questions you might have about Anglicanism. :)

3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome into our midst, fellow pilgrim.

4. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    thank you. Please feel free to ask any questions you have.

5. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Thank you.

6. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
  7. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I salute you for your decision to leave the LDS. What were some of the main reasons or beliefs that led you to this point? (I know quite a bit about them, but not everyone here does.) Tell us the story of how it came about for you. :yes:

Have you already investigated what's available in your vicinity for Anglican churches, or Episcopal?

8. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Thank you. I will keep my story brief, and will provide a deeper explanation in another post.
    Growing up I was non-denominational Christian. I moved to Utah and met an LDS girl. During the course of dating, I converted to the LDS church. I did so to get married in the LDS temple.
    At heart, I am a Trinitarian. Lots of former LDS will cite issues with church history, or issues with Joseph Smith as reasons to leave the LDS church, AND organized religion in general. This is not the case for me. There are other reasons, which again, I will reveal in a full post.
    As for Anglican/Episcopal churches nearby, I have found a couple that intrigue me. There are some doctrinal questions I have between the two, and I may voice those at a later time.

Rexlion, bwallac2335 and Tiffy like this.
  9. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I am wondering what effect the internet and this new explosion of knowledge about LDS foundings / founders will have on the long- term future of the LDS.. I don't see how they can get past this

10. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Please feel free to ask the questions. My family has made something of a journey like yours. One of my great grandmotehrs on my mom's side was a Mormon. My grandmother became a Baptist. My mother became a Methodist and I have found a home in the ACNA

thatoneguy likes this.
  11. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Well, we received this "counsel" on Easter Sunday:
    "If you have doubts about God the Father and His Beloved Son or the validity of the Restoration or the veracity of Joseph Smith’s divine calling as a prophet, choose to believe and stay faithful."
    "Study with the desire to believe rather than with the hope that you can find a flaw in the fabric of a prophet’s life or a discrepancy in the scriptures.
    Stop increasing your doubts by rehearsing them with other doubters."
    Here is a link to the talk delivered by President Russel M Nelson: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/general-conference/2021/04/49nelson?lang=eng
    Essentially, we are being told to NOT seek answers to question outside the church. I for example could be considered apostate for seeking answers to my faith question here with all of you.

12. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    This is where I'm looking locally. I feel very drawn to them.

Rexlion likes this.
  13. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Weird, I would not be considered an apostate for engaging in dialogue on a mormon forum

14. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    That's true, but you're also not counselled by your leaders to not discuss doubts or ask faith questions to those outside of Anglicanism. We are actively being told these things.

anglican74 likes this.
  15. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Sounds like a great way to control people by controlling their information.

Rexlion, anglican74 and thatoneguy like this.
  16. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Indeed, and here are two examples of the church soft-controlling what information members access:

"Some things that are true are not very useful." Boyd K Packer, 8/22/1981
    https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org...s-far-far-greater-than-the-intellect?lang=eng
    "In a talk I recently gave to Church Educational System teachers, I urged that 'the fact that something is true is not always a justification for communicating it.”' Dallin H Oaks, 5/4/1986
    https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1987/02/criticism?lang=eng

These are from the 1980's, when information was much easier for the Church to control and harder for members to acquire. The internet has only made the control worse and the information more readily available.

anglican74 and bwallac2335 like this.
  17. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Yup, I have a brother who did the same thing, married a LDS woman. It sounds like you're on the right track and listening to the Holy Spirit; He'll lead you truly.

18. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Welcome friend!

thatoneguy likes this.
  19. Ananias

Ananias Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Welcome!

I joined an ACNA church and have not regretted it. Quite to the contrary: I have found such a loving welcome, such a greatness of spirit, and such a determination to teach the true Gospel, that I am overjoyed. I can't guarantee that you will have the same experience I did, of course, but I find ACNA to be a vigorous and Gospel-centered church that remains true to the Anglican way (Scripture, Reason, Tradition).

ACNA has its problems, to be sure. It is a young church and still finding its feet in a lot of ways. There is a great diversity of practice in the Province: some use the new 2019 BCP*, some don't; some Bishops ordain women priests and some don't; some churches adhere to the Anglo-Catholic "high church" church practice ("smells and bells" as my Pastor calls it), while others like mine are more low-church and Evangelical/Reformed in nature. There is a push on right now to bring all congregations into standard practice on certain fundamentals, notably use of the 2019 BCP and catechizing new members.

Just to give you an idea of why I'm so optimistic about ACNA even in these dark days: our Pastor actually grew our congregation during the pandemic! He invested in new digital streaming technology to reach out via Facebook and Zoom, he instituted a "drive in" church service where everyone could stay in their cars, and he built up the church leadership team and vestry to such an extent that we're now looking at expanding into a new sanctuary to handle the size in growth! And all this while preaching the true Gospel, not some "seeker friendly" Jesus-flavored New Age mush. He reached out to those lonely and frightened souls who were stuck at home during the pandemic, and brought many of them to Christ. If I ever doubted the work of the Holy Spirit here on earth, I saw it with my own eyes during the last year or so.

Seek out an ACNA church in your area and pay them a visit.

*BCP is the Anglican "Book of Common Prayer" if you don't know.

thatoneguy likes this.
  20. thatoneguy

thatoneguy New Member

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Thanks! I'm actually meeting with the priest from the only ACNA church in my area tomorrow, going to church and a catechism class on Sunday, and should be getting my copy of "To Be A Christian: An Anglican Catechism" today! To be completly honest with you, I'm nervous as hell.