Christian faith and the environment

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Rexlion, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Tonight I came across this 20-minute video in which Calvin Beisner of the Cornwall Alliance discusses a Biblical perspective of our environment. I liked what he had to say and I agree with it. He rejects the notion that a Biblical worldview allows man to simply do whatever he pleases to the earth, and at the same time he also rejects the modernist idea that man's environmental impact and footprint on the earth needs to be reduced as much as possible from where it stands today.

https://thenewamerican.com/thinking-biblically-about-the-environment-with-cal-beisner/

2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I am something of a tree huger. I love the words and the wild. I could nto live in a big city as concrete makes me depressed or something. I also think man can create the environment to suite his needs. I have shaped my local environment where I live in that way and made my land, or am making my land, into a food utopia. We are stewards of God's creation. He gave us dominion over it. We should use it wisely and humanly. I on one hand do think that involves keeping a good living standard striving for a cleaner environment.

I extend this to animal husbandry also. Treat them well and kill them humanly. I am not sure if we actually do that here. It is an issue that bothers me. That is why I am building a moveable chicken coop this afternoon. Keep them out of their own poop and on fresh grass as much as possible while keep them safe .

Moses and Rexlion like this.
  3. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    The coop I built for my wife is on legs, up off the ground. They hop in at night and we latch the door, then let them out in the morning. The floor is chicken wire (but in cold weather we add straw). The door and one side are also wire, so plenty of ventilation, but my wife covers them partially with feed bags in colder weather.

[​IMG]

Botolph and bwallac2335 like this.
  4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My rector developed a proprietary chicken coop a couple of years ago. I think he charges $450 for one including delivery to the buyer's house. His personal flock of chickens stays over 20 birds.

Deviled eggs used to make a weekly appearance at church; courtesy of his eggs and one of the people on the vestry. I made some pickled eggs for him too.

5. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Deviled eggs at church, the thought always seems a bit off-kilter. :laugh:

It always made sense to me to avoid being thoughtless toward pets, livestock and wild animals. If something simple can be done to keep an animal from suffering, such as tossing a few nuts out for the squirrels or giving the chickens straw to help them stay warmer, it's good stewardship.

But I am the furthest thing from an "animal rights activist." Some of them seem to think that animal welfare should take priority over that of humans. If I have to choose between giving to a mission for the homeless or an animal shelter, the mission will win every time.

For that matter, there are some people in this world who look upon humanity (themselves excluded, of course :p ) as a blight or infestation upon the earth. They would prefer to eliminate a good portion of humankind in order to 'preserve mother earth'. Eliminating fossil fuels is one giant step toward their goal, as the loss of fuel for heating, cooking, farming, and production of necessary goods is likely to starve out a good share of the present population, particularly in nations where most folks are on subsistence living.

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Seems a bit small and a bit harsh to provide such accommodation for your wife.

Thomas Didymus and Rexlion like this.
  7. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The lady who made them would do them a different way every week. Maybe she'd put an olive slice on them or bacon bits or some other little garnish. Being one of the ministers, I didn't make it to the serving line as fast as others. There were times all of her delicious eggs were gone before I made it to the serving line, and I was disappointed. If you are making some delicious deviled eggs for church, set a few aside for the clergy:)

8. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    You're right. I should tell her that she may sleep in the house from now on...

:rofl:

Thomas Didymus and Botolph like this.
  9. Thomas Didymus

Thomas Didymus Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    For cities and towns, factories and farms, flowers and trees,
    sea and sky--
    Lord, we praise You for the world and its beauty.
    For family and friends, neighbors and cousins--

Lord, we thank You for friendship and love.
    For kind hearts, smiling faces, and helping hands--

Lord, we praise You for those who care for others.
    For commandments that teach us how to live--

Lord, we thank You for those who help us to understand
    your laws.
    And for making us one family on earth, the children of
    One God--
    Lord, we praise You, who made all people different, yet alike.
    --a Jewish liturgy
    Psalm 89:11 NIV
    The heavens are yours, and yours also the earth; you founded the world and all that is in it.​

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021