Can someone help explain this Papal image to me

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by anglican74, Feb 27, 2021.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Can someone who is versed in Roman theology explain what is happening here, and how it is not blasphemy

F5DF0D7C-9DCB-4137-A161-1DE7BDE40B10.jpg

2. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 1 Cor 11:14

Hmmm I may have gone off on a tangent again.

3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Well, you know how the Anglican priest will elevate the host briefly after repeating Christ's words, "This is my body..."? The RC priest does the same thing. In the RCC, I'm pretty sure it is at that moment of elevation that the transubstantiation is said to take place; the altar boy would always ring a bell or shake a chime box at this moment, which added to the sense that something has happened. Nowadays the RC priest faces away from the crucifix, so it doesn't look like this. But before Vatican II, the RC priest faced away from the people and toward the crucifix. So, that's what you're seeing. "Est hoc corpus meum" accompanied by the elevation of the host.

4. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Yeah but why is he offering the Christ’s body, to Christ?...
    And isn’t the priest supposed to be in persona Christi also?

And finally, isn’t the whole point of a Roman mass, to make the propitiatory sacrifice of Christ to the Father? Yes it’s vile I know, but at least that’s their theology, so why is the priest offering Christ’s sacrifice to Christ?

the Romanist mindset is full of so many contradictions

5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    RC doctrine holds that it is a continuation of the one sacrifice of Jesus on the cross. This is their way of skirting the statement in Scripture that "...we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once..." (Heb. 10:10). They drag out His sacrifice (and, by implication, His suffering) throughout the centuries, almost nonstop (every hour of every day, somewhere in the world, His sacrifice is continued).

As for what was in the mind of the illustrator who created the image you reproduced for us here, I'm thinking that the suffering Christ depicted is not having the host offered to Him, but rather it shows Him being called to the altar to renew the ongoing "sacrifice of the (RC) mass." IMO their doctrine keeps Jesus in a state of perpetual crucifixion.

6. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    What is "Papal" here?
    Is there a Pope in the picture?

7. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    An interesting remark!

8. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Pretty picture.

9. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    And what about "papal"?

I have the feeling, that some here like to use words like Papal and Popery and Tiber -

in a derogative way for anything Catholic.

I will ask this now in an extra thread.

10. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Images like this are common but they are not intended to represent Christ's sacrifice being offered to Christ. They are intended to show the unseen reality of Christ being truly present in the transubstantiated host. It's meant as a teaching tool though I'll admit it is more than a bit confusing at face value.

Niblo and Invictus like this.