Rosaries, Chaplets, and Prayer Beads

Discussion in 'Church Strands (Anglo-catholics & Evangelicals)' started by HiddenApostle25, Feb 3, 2021.

1. HiddenApostle25

HiddenApostle25 New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am well aware that the Dominican Rosary is popular in Anglo-Catholic circles. It seems that Anglican prayer beads (rosary) are also gaining in popularity.

Is there any history of other (mainly Catholic) chaplets being used by different Anglican groups?

https://www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/chaplets.htm

This link has a list of 59 different chaplets. The Seven Sorrows Rosary and the Franciscan Crows Rosary are two of the more popular ones. They both originated in the 1200s.

Allen likes this.
  2. HiddenApostle25

HiddenApostle25 New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I think the answer would depend on who you asked. In our former parish we used to have the Rosary every Tuesday evening. Our current parish does not do the Rosary. However, our current parish does Benediction once per month and our former parish never did Benediction. So the answer will depend. As an Anglo-Catholic I have not personally encountered many so-called Catholic devotions.

4. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I use a rosary but purely with the Jesus Prayer and Trisagion.

5. youngfogey

youngfogey Member

I use chotki with the usual Orthodox trisagion prayers, the troparion of the day (Monday, angels, Tuesday, St. John the Baptist, etc.), Psalm 51 from the old BCP, "Rejoice, O Virgin Mother of God" on the "divider" beads (on mine, 10 - made by Ukrainian Catholics, it can double as a rosary), and the Jesus Prayer on most of the beads (on mine, 50).

Catholics go ballistic when I say this: The rosary is an okay prayer aid, originally a substitute for the psalms for the illiterate, by and for the Latin Church, that works for some people. Do not introduce or promote it in the Eastern rites because they have their own practices.

Neither Roman exaggeration ("Our Lady herself told us to") nor Orthodox and Protestant attacks ("Get that sacrilegious thing out of here!").

I get it. I have three rosaries. The content is fine — I'll add that I know the Protestants here object to this practice. It's as much about community/tribal identity, the church, as it is about Mary's role in the Incarnation and as an intercessor: persecuted Irish huddled in their cottages. But I'm with you that Catholicism is about scripture, the creed, and the sacraments, not particular devotional practices. And, classically Anglican, if you can read the actual psalms and Bible stories, why not do so?

The Chaplet of Divine Mercy from 1930s Poland? Christ-centered like my prayer life is, and in the Latin Church, fine with me.

The Anglican Prayer Beads have no long romantic tradition behind them - an Episcopal priest, the Rev. Lynn Bauman, came up with them, but they're fine.

I think most churchmen here will agree with me: I recommend a good solid daily prayer rule but when someone tells you his has magical powers, run.

Thomas Didymus and Spiritus like this.
  6. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    True! :yes:

Othniel and youngfogey like this.
  7. youngfogey

youngfogey Member

Anyway, to answer the original question, in over 40 years of going to church I've rarely seen Catholic Anglicans use the Latin Catholic rosary and never seen any Anglicans use any of the other Catholic chaplets.

8. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    I am an Anglican Catholic. Our parish has folks that use both the Five-decade and the Anglican rosaries. I use the Anglican in my personal daily prayers. Many that I see do not use them in Sunday services beforehand. It is presented as "use them at your own discretion". I do.

I have fond remembrances of worship with my Grandmother and my Aunt. Both did the rosary and both consecrated themselves to The Sacred Heart of Jesus. Grandmother walked the mile to church each day, rain or shine, for the 6AM Mass. Both had worshipped as Greek (Byzantine) Catholics in Austro-Hungary prior to immigration to the USA. In PA, they worshipped at the Greek (Byzantine) Cathedral. When they moved to MN, after my grandfather passed, they worshipped in the Roman Catholic Church in their small town. My father was baptized in the Greek Catholic Church, but confirmed in the RCC in MN.

9. youngfogey

youngfogey Member

Thank you, @Br. Thomas.

But the Greek Catholic churches confirm/chrismate babies right after baptism.

Now they give Communion to babies again, like the Orthodox. When children are 7, in both churches, they have First Confession; from now on, either no serious sin or go to confession before Communion, which I know is un-Anglican. Then the children dress up and have the party afterwards, just like First Communion for Roman Catholic kids.

But not that long ago, Greek Catholics didn't commune babies.

Maybe your father's First Communion was in the RCC in MN.

10. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am no expert on the Rosary and don't relate well to the practice in my personal prayer. However, I took my kids to St. Nicholas RCC recently and there are gift rosaries at the either end of the pews. They thought they were jewelry until my older, literate, daughter noticed a prayer card in the packaging. So when the Mass had ended I sat a few extra minutes and explained to them what they actually had.

Unfortunately, I think several of the members of the church could have benefited from my teaching. When we entered the early comers were praying a Divine Mercy Chaplet but some people apparently arrived a bit earlier than was their custom and were whispering behind us, "Oh, I didn't know they have the Rosary before Mass."