What's happened to Tiffy

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by AnglicanAgnostic, Jan 20, 2021.

1. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I see his post on the Anglican tag thread has been deleted with no reference to the fact. He seems to have disappeared off the notable members list and I can no longer private message him?

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

From the logs I am seeing that he was banned for 7 days by one of the mods, due to several infractions and repeated warnings.

3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Sad he was a good active member. We did not always agree and I don't think he was super orthodox but he was active and knowledgeable.

4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Somewhat similar to being in the rugby penalty box? Or did he decide to quit the forum altogether?

5. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    What's happened to Tiffy? For the second time of asking.

6. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

I think he ran afoul of the moderation again, attacking other users.

7. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Ach! I, too, was wondering. Thought he might be ill or something.

May we please be referred to as "members"? :) When I think of a "user," I recall some folks who "used" us by imposing :wicked: on our generous natures...

:signpeace:

8. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Just to let you all know how Tiffy is getting on. He's fine, he has been working on his church's new website and the amalgamation of his church with a neighbouring church. His priest is also due to retire soon so they will be looking for a new one. I suggested he apply for the job, but he thought he was a too disorganised person to do the job.

Rexlion likes this.
  9. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Why? Is he an ordained priest?

10. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    No , he is a licenced lay reader. I'm not au fait with the requirement to become a priest in England but I would have thought he had the knowledge, the life skills and the personality to become one. He has done sermons in his church.

11. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I'm pretty certain the requirements for priesthood are much higher than those for a licensed lay reader. Several years' worth of seminary education, for one.

Invictus likes this.
  12. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    You cannot become a priest in the Church of England just like that. To apply for an imcumbent's role, i.e. a rector or vicar, requires one to be already an ordained priest and to have done at least three years as a curate.

To become a priest you have to go through a selection process called a Bishop's Advisory Panel. If you are selected you would then have to go through training. This can be residential or non-residential but in either case is done through a theological education institution. You had to be a graduate to train but I'm not sure if that remains a requiremet.

Invictus likes this.
  13. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I assume the CofE has an age-limit to be ordained as well, there is in Australia. I got the impression Tiffy was getting on in the years, if he's older than 65 then that path may already be closed to him.

14. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I don't know if there is an age limit in the C of E. I do know of men who have gone into the priesthood after retiring from work. Those I know of have all gone into what is called non-stipendiary ministry (NSM). Basically, this means the C of E (despite its huge wealth) does not pay them and they have to be self-supporting. I don't know if you have anything similar to NSM in Australia.

15. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    We do, but it's not unheard of for young ordained ministers to be unpaid either until they get a permanent ministry. Normally it's for former priests that have 'retired', not for new clergy that are past retirement age. Our labour laws mandate if they are a parish priest/assistant priest they must be paid the minimum award (~$68k a year), so it's only for ordained clergy that chip in for things like hospital chaplaincy - it would be unlawful to not pay a priest working outside a volunteer capacity.

I believe there's still an age limit even for unpaid clergy in my diocese, although I'm sure the archbishop could make exceptions for special circumstances.

16. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Don't hold me to the following and I issue the caveat that I'm not a lawyer. I think that the C of E in this country gets around employment law by classing clergy as "office holders" and not as "employees". Therefore, my rector, for example, would not have the same employment rights and protections I have.

17. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Tiffy is about to end his six month exile.
    He has been busy working on his parish amalgamation. Apparently it is not as easy as you may imagine.
    It may make an interesting thread (the trials and tribulations of amalgamation) when he comes back.
    He seems to be healthy and happy.

18. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I didn't know exactly when the 6 months started, so I was beginning to wonder if he'd opted to not return. Glad to hear otherwise. Does he read the forum posts in the meantime?

19. AnglicanAgnostic

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Yes he does. He had trouble at first as his ban occurred when he was logged into the forum and this prevented him even looking at the forum with his own computer. I think he had to use another computer to look but not write to the forum.

20. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Glad he will be back soon.