The Golden Legend (Catholic fairy tales)

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Chartreux, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Chartreux

Chartreux Member

Is anyone here acquainted with the stories of The Golden Legend? It's the collection of medieval saint lore compiled by Jacobus de Varagine. You could describe at as the Catholic version of the Brothers Grimm stories. Some of it is alleged to be factual while others are merely pious apocryphal accounts. I always found these kinds of stories amusing.

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Is it a consensus that the stories were taken as fables in the Middle Ages? I seem to remember that they were taken as pretty robust factual records of the past, nor unlike the medieval legends of Alexander the Great slaying dragons, or King Arthur stories, all seen as mostly faithful recollections.

In fact I remember that Ignatius of Loyola took the Golden Legend so factually that he was inspired to start the Jesuits as a result. There is a scene when he’s right about to start the Jesuits, where he takes his followers, and they all put on the exact same clothes as in some great consecration scene from the Golden Legend, and repeat upon him the very words as said in the ritual on the page.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  3. Chartreux

Chartreux Member

Yes, I know they were taken more seriously in antiquity, not so much now, however.

4. Rhys

Rhys Member

USA
    Religion:
    Methodist
    I always liked the one about St. Lucy-

"Lucy said: 'You keep the laws of your masters, and I shall keep the law of my God. You fear the emperors, I fear God. You would not offend them, I take care not to offend God. You wish to please them, I wish to please Christ. So do what you think best for yourself, and I will do what I think best for me... Minds are corrupted by people like you [Paschasius], who urge souls to abandon their Creator. Bodies are corrupted by all who put bodily pleasures before joys that are eternal.' Paschasius said: 'You will find less to say when I have you flogged!' Lucy retorted: 'The word of God will never be silenced.' 'Then you are God?' Paschasius asked. Lucy replied: 'I am the handmaid of God.'"

The same could be said about the Scriptures...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  5. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Scriptures are inspired by the holy Ghost, and God's instrument of men's salvation.

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16)

"For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." (Romans 15:4)

"The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes; the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever; the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether. More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of the honeycomb. Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward." (Psalm 19:7)

6. Rhys

Rhys Member

USA
    Religion:
    Methodist
    Indeed. My point was that fabulous and legendary material in the Scriptures tended to be taken as "robust factual records of the past" and "mostly faithful recollections" in the Middle Ages, but not so much today - except by Fundamentalists.

7. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Catholic fairy tales? You mean Apostolicae Curae?

Thomas Didymus likes this.