Doing the Litany (1662 Book of Common Prayer)

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Stalwart, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Let us pray.
    O God, merciful Father, that despisest not the sighing of a contrite heart, nor the desire of such as be sorrowful; Mercifully assist our prayers that we make before thee in all our troubles and adversities, whensoever they oppress us; and graciously hear us, that those evils, which the craft and subtility of the devil or man worketh against us, be brought to nought; and by the providence of thy goodness they may be dispersed; that we thy servants, being hurt by no persecutions, may evermore give thanks unto thee in thy holy Church; through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    O Lord, arise, help us, and deliver us for thy Name's sake.

Invictus and bwallac2335 like this.
  2. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    @Stalwart I was already saying the Litany Sunday, Wednesday, Friday but I’m joining you in saying it daily for the sad state of affairs going on at the White House. I will continue to say it until President elect Biden is inaugurated and Trump is safely in Mar a Lago where he belongs.

Invictus likes this.
  3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Some users reported off-topic content which had to be cleaned up. Please do try to stay on topic.

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I believe the topic was prayer, and the possibility of someone being contrite, was it not?

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Politics is a very toxic subject. It fractures even the most congruent communities. We really need to minimize toxic subjects like this on a website such as ours, especially if the topic was not on that subject in the first place.

Rexlion and bwallac2335 like this.
  6. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That it may please thee to bless and keep
    the Magistrates, giving them grace to
    execute justice, and to maintain truth;

We beseech thee to hear us, good Lord.

Invictus likes this.
  7. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I was just reading a bit about the regulative principle of worship (which holds that God teaches certain ways of acceptable worship in the Bible, and ways of worship not so described are unacceptable or false worship) versus the normative principle (which holds that whatever is not prohibited in the Bible is acceptable in worship so long as it is in keeping with peace and unity). Anglican worship is said to be under the normative principle. But it struck me as somewhat ironic that every word of our liturgy is set forth in the BCP, and thus our worship is very much regulated. I wonder, has Anglican worship become more subject to the regulative principle than is realized? (After all, even in those churches that openly say they're on the regulative worship path, their clergy have decided what the Bible says is or is not acceptable, and those churches don't always agree among themselves on the final 'product'.) :hmm: What say you all?

8. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    The regulative principle was something that was invented and never held by the church until some reformed and Anabaptists came along. Our service is liturgical and regulated as all good liturgy is but we still fall under the traditional and apostolic normative worship

9. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Our worship is regulated, but not regulative...!

Fr. Brench likes this.
  10. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Much that is liturgically regulated in the Church of England is 'traditional' in that the church has been doig it for a very long time, so if it's wrong then it's been wrong since anybody, including God, can remember.

If anything in worship is in Spirit and in Truth then its OK by God aparently, no matter how innovative, as long as the worshipping Anglican congregation feels able in the spirit to say amen to it. John 4:23-24.

11. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My experience with the regulative principle is that it's adherents totally ignored anything that was normative in OT worship. A very Marcionite sort of approach.

Tiffy likes this.
  12. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Gosh religion must have been an unpleasant business in those days.

Shane R and Fr. Brench like this.
  13. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Yes, I was being a bit facetious :) and provocative with that question, mixing the apples with the oranges... :shifty: I just think it's humorous to realize that 'what is normative' is well regulated! :laugh:

14. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    That it may please thee to strengthen such as
    do stand; and to comfort and help the weak-
    hearted; and to raise up them that fall; and
    finally to beat down Satan under our feet;

We beseech thee hear us, good Lord.