"I Left Eastern Orthodoxy for the Pope Francis Church"

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Religious Fanatic, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Cooper

Cooper Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Some interesting points in this thread. :yes:
    Some not-so-interesting points in this thread. :no:

I wish to thank everyone who wrote posts.

:tiphat:

2. Moses

Moses Member

USA
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    People like Tim Flanders who join the RCC usually start by correctly identifying that the Church Fathers saw communion with Rome as a mark of orthodoxy. What they miss is that the Church Fathers up to the eighth century looked to the Roman bishop as a bastion of orthodoxy. At least, I assume they miss this because Tim Flanders is buddying up with all these rad trads who think the Pope is a heretic and that everyone must be in communion with him in spite of his heresy. It’s the exact opposite line of thinking that the early saints took.

Then he criticizes the very, very slight differences in theology between Orthodox Churches (at least compared to Rome), lumps us in with the Assyrians to prove how divided we supposedly are, claims there is no Orthodox Church, prides himself in his total lack of understanding regard economia, get offended at the fact that we haven’t redefined the term “ecumenical council” like his new communion has done, and pretends that unless the Orthodox Church condemns something as heresy then it’s automatically accepted (the immaculate conception). In all this, he holds us to a far higher standard than his own communion.

You can summarize the argument as this: “People disagree in your Church, it doesn’t exist, and you need to join the RCC so you can be humble and buy the crisis I’m peddling: the Church teaches uncool 21st century positions and we can bring it back to cool late-19th century positions. Also, buy my book condeming the King James Bible.”

It’s pure sophistry.