Anglo-Catholic hymn books

Discussion in 'Sacred Music' started by Cooper, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Cooper

Cooper Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Any recommendations for contemporary hymn books in the Anglo-Catholic tradition?

:liturgy:

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Most of the Continuing churches use the TEC Hymnal of 1940. I personally hate the way the thing is formatted and there is a lot of filler in it. It seems like, during Trinitytide, my organist makes an effort to play some of the most inane garbage in that book. I really wish the rector would review her selections in advance but he lets her do whatever she wants.

The 1982 TEC hymnal is superior in content, although some will rant about it being liberalized - whatever that means. However, the '82 book did not print the 4 part harmony which was so common in hymnals.

The REC compiled a nice hymnal in 2017, though I don't know that there is anything particularly Anglo-Catholic about it. They are not always easy to get ahold of. I don't think their publishing house was prepared for the demand that the book saw in its first couple of printings. I got ahold of several for people to review at General Convention but then it was postponed so I've got them sitting on top of the bookcase in my living room.

I don't know much about the various hymnals that our friends in the UK have produced but some American clergy like to dabble in English hymnals.

Cooper likes this.
  3. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Cooper and Shane R like this.