How many candles on the altar?

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Cooper, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I think holding derision for either position on the grounds that the other position is an innovation is utterly wrong headed and illogically super religious, misguided, fashion conscious nostalgia. It makes a mockery of true religion by focussing on the triviality of which direction we face when worshipping God, who is omnipresent. All directions are acceptable, any direction will do.

Talk about straing out gnats and swallowing camels. :laugh:

Rexlion likes this.
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    All this talk of eastward and westward.... our church building has the altar on the north end! :) LOL. That's what you get when you buy a garage building and renovate it into a church building. (To look at it now, one would never guess.)

Our rector faces the congregation, but he turns to face the cross and kneels like the rest of us during the general confession and the prayer of humble access. To me that is very meaningful; it's like he is saying, "I'm a sinner looking to Christ for my salvation along with the rest of you; these robes don't make me holier-than-thou."

But really, getting nit-picky about the "right way" to stand would be an elevation of form over substance. The true substance is our relationship with our loving Lord God.

Thomas Didymus and Dave Kemp like this.
  3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA

I wish our priest did that

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    It seems to me that the most Anglican way to orient oneself at the Eucharist is whatever way each local congregation agrees upon. 2 Cor.13:11.