What Kind of Anglican Are You?

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Lowly Layman, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

2. tstor

tstor Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian - Protestant
    Violet Low Church :cool:

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes. That has been making the rounds. I got 'Blue High Church'. Essentially a Laudian high-churchman.

I suspect the colors correlate to the rainbow. Red is assigned to the Anglo-Papalists and Violet to the Low Churchmen. I haven't seen anyone get yellow or indigo yet but I've seen green, which is assigned to the Latitudinarians.

4. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I just saw a yellow. Yellow is still in the Anglo-Catholic range.

5. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Depending on how I answer the time period question I get yellow or indigo.

6. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I am not anglo Catholic or so I don't think but I am a high churchman

7. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I defy anyone to define me or label my churchmanship but Jesus Christ.

8. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The quiz say I am a yellow Anglo Catholic, though I would prefer to describe myself as Anglidox.

9. Visita

Visita New Member

Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Indigo Middle Candle: You enjoy a dignified liturgy and think the Anglican Reformers were really onto something.

I could have told them that without taking a test, but at least now I know which color candle I am.

10. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    "Where would you go on vacation?"
    Umm, they don't have a choice for "none of the above." :p I wouldn't spend a dime to go to any of those places! Gimme a quiet campsite next to a small lake, with loons calling. :yes:

11. Anne

Anne Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    Orange, oh yeah!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  12. Lowly Layman

Me too! We put the Catholic in Anglo-catholic...:D

13. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    From the creator of the quiz:
    Red describes staunch Anglo-Catholics who long for communion with Rome. They see no real substantive difference between themselves and their Roman brethren except momentary separation by historical accident. They would emphasize the celibacy of clergy, desiring such to be mandatory or at least highly encouraged. The title “Father” would be the expected default title for priests. Liturgically, they would use the Gregorian Canon of the Mass and not use the Book of Common Prayer. Confession and fasting would be obligatory prior to Mass. Invocation of saints would be practiced in public services.

Orange Anglicans are similar to Red, except they would use the American Rite in the Missal—which supplements the Book of Common Prayer with Catholic liturgical tradition. They would also be laxer about married clergy, though they still might view celibate ministers as first-class priests standing above their married counterparts.

Yellow refers to those who would stress the Anglican in Anglo-Catholic. These Anglicans insist on the errant nature of Roman Catholic theology based on claims of papal infallibility. They see no real distinction between celibate and married ministers, and celebrate the freedom of Anglican ministers to marry. They primarily use the Book of Common Prayer with some additions from the Missal. Private confession is advertised, but not required.

While Red, Orange, and Yellow Anglicans can all trace their identities to members of the Anglo-Catholic Congress, the final four colors really cannot be categorized with the label Anglo-Catholic. The Green Anglicans might be best described as High Church Tractarians. They describe themselves as Prayer Book Catholics, performing High Church liturgies with The Book of Common Prayer. They reserve sacrament for the sick as needed. Instead of public services with Eucharistic adoration and invocation of saints, they would prefer such devotions to be done privately. Confession may be taught in confirmation classes and emphasized during various church seasons like Shrovetide.

Blue and indigo are varieties of High Church Anglicans. These are more likely to call the Sunday service “Holy Communion” instead of “Mass.” They would be uncomfortable with acts of devotion outside of The Book of Common Prayer and would not encourage strict fasting practices in relation to the reception of the Eucharist. Confession is offered discreetly, particularly in conjunction with the Sacrament of Unction. They eschew the title Father as too Roman Catholic, preferring terms like Pastor or Rector.

The final color is Violet, referring to Anglicans who emphasize the established nature of the Anglican Church. They might offer a spoken Communion service early, but the main Sunday activity is Morning Prayer with one Sunday set aside for a sung Communion. These would effectively be considered Low Church by many.

Conclusion

Personally, I find myself somewhere between Yellow and Orange. But the point is that such color categories are markers that can help orient the onlooker to the ever-complicated world of Anglicanism. They should not be used as a means of exclusion or denigration. For all our intramural debates, there is nothing wrong with being a Violet, Red, or any other kind of Anglican. The purpose of such labels is not for one group to lord over another, but instead to increase precision in theological discourse. By having well-defined lines, we can better communicate with one another.
    By that criteria, I suppose I'm green rather than blue.

Thomas Didymus and Rexlion like this.
  14. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I feel like a am Green but I see no point in private confession except to quite a conscious. I find my truly repentant public confession valid.

15. Lowly Layman

By this measure, I'd say I'm somewhere between a green and a yellow.

16. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I'm a high Church Anglican, apparently.