Anglo-catholicism and the Occult?

Discussion in 'Anglican and Christian News' started by Lowly Layman, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have noticed a corresponding phenomenon in American culture: Masonic involvement. I know little about the Masons but you would not believe how fast Anglo-Catholic clergy pop out of the woodwork to defend the Lodge the moment an Evangelical says the word 'cultish.'

Stalwart and Lowly Layman like this.
  3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    The mason's are a bad organization. Anti Christian. I used to be deceived that they were ok until I learned more about them. In the US they are harmless for the most part but not so in Europe

4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I did think about that, too. But then, almost every Anglican/ Episcopalian man of a certain age I know is a mason, not just Anglo-Catholics (and Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians for that matter)

5. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yup the Masonic movement has managed to clean up its public reputation to a vast degree. It's scary.

Shane R likes this.
  6. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    My former boss at work was a Mason or as I say a member of the Secret Handshake Society. His take on Masonry was that it was just like the Lions or Jaycees ; a group of citizens banding together to help society in charitable ways. No doubt they do help society to some extent, but my boss left a Masonic handbook alone for a few minutes and it mentioned Solomon's Temple. I can't imagine the Lions or Jaycees mentioning King Solomon in their literature.

7. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    I know this question was directed to our friends across the pond, however, I much say, at least in my Parish, there is nothing like this. My Dad is a Baptist and he is a Mason ??? degree. Meaning, he's went through all the chairs and is the highest degree Mason.

But as far as our Parish, I've not once ever heard it even mentioned. And I've been there over a year, and have befriended 'most' of the members. So far as I can tell, Masonry isn't even a 'thing'.

Sorry .... didn't mean to derail the convo, as you were asking about UK. But ... Having seen the verbiage "American Culture" ... just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents. I now digress. ;)

8. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    At the very least, freemasonry is deist rather than Christian. It acknowledges a god, but not the triune God. I would never join, if for no other reason than to avoid the appearance of impropriety. There are/were people who've claimed to have been members and to have observed occultic or satanic practices.

9. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    The author of the article seems to be citing evidence of occult involvement mainly from the late 19th century and first half of the 20th century. I think generally that was a period when there was an increased interest in the esoteric and occult.

As for Anglo-Catholic involvement on a large scale, I'm not convinced. If you read an old book from about 1900 called 'The Secret History of the Oxford Movement' you certainly get the impression that Anglo-Catholic clergy of the late 19th century were indeed a secret sect. (They had to be secretive to avoid prosecution under the Public Worship Regulation Act of 1874.) I get the feeling that the author of the article is familiar with this book.

I've read about the extreme Anglo-Catholic clergy in my diocese from this period. They were all eccentric men with broad learning, sometimes including an interest in folklore so I can perhaps accept that they may have gained some knowledge of the esoteric and occult. I haven't seen any evidence however that they were actively involved in occult practices.

As for Freemasonry, whilst the CofE doesn't look favourably upon it, I personally know a Priest who is a Mason. (He is a moderate Anglo-Catholic.) I seem to remember that there was a bit of a hoo-ha a few years ago when a Mason was appointed as Bishop of Ebbsfleet. (An Anglo-Catholic Flying Bishop.)

Lowly Layman and Cooper like this.
  10. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I read a rather vitriolic paper some time back accusing all Anglo-Catholic clergy of being homosexual. I'm not entirely sure whether I qualify as Anglo-Catholic or Olde High Church but I've got 2 daughters and have never wished to have relations with another man. Fr. Gary, my peer, would punch someone in the face if they suggested he was gay. I have heard confession from gays a couple of times though.

Cooper likes this.
  11. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Whilst I don't for one minute believe that all Anglo-Catholic clergy are gay I think that there is a gay subculture in what I would describe as 'gin and lace' Anglo-Catholicism. Possibly not so much these days but I have come across it in the CofE.

I knew a married Anglo-Catholic Priest who resigned in the mid 1990's over the issue of female Priests. I always thought there was something hidden about him but could never quite work out what it was. I did consider that he might be gay but as he was married with 4 or 5 kids and wasn't at all camp I thought it unlikely. It did however prove to be the case. When he resigned his wife remained in the area whilst he went off to do his own thing.

Cooper and Shane R like this.