Finally attending a service

Discussion in 'New Members' started by C. Smith, Jul 10, 2020.

1. C. Smith

C. Smith New Member

England
    Religion:
    CofE
    Hi all,

I posted about my interest in the church a while ago and got some great help, I have one last question on the 'new members' section before I will hopefully start to learn enough to contribute elsewhere!

After a long lockdown, I'm finally going to be able to attend a service this Sunday, but it's been about a decade since I went to any church, let alone a CofE one. I've found an appropriate Anglo-catholic, BCP-using parish near me and I'm looking forward to it. My questions are basically to do with going for the first time; do I just turn up or should I talk to someone? Can I receive the Eucharist? (This may seem strange but my mother (RC) would never do it if she hadn't been to confession in a while - and would never abide by my Presbyterian father doing it). Also, how formally should one dress?

I understand these things differ a great deal from church to church, but any help is appreciated.

God bless,

C. Smith

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Call ahead and ask the priest your questions.

3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'd offer, on the contrary end of things, that you just go, however you end up going. Don't receive the sacrament (it's not at all a requirement). Just sit and observe. The key is to remove anxiety from the process, because you're in the process of a lifetime romance with God, and a single day isn't going to change very much.

4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I was fortunate; the Anglican church I attend had a website, and the website stated that all baptized believers are welcome to receive communion. Frankly, that was important to me. It's hard to feel welcome in a church where I'm not welcome to partake of the Eucharist. Were it not for the web page, I think I might have called them up and asked, or else I would have asked someone (like an usher) upon entering to find out their policy.

As for dress, wear something comfortable and middle-of-the-road for the first visit. No shorts for sure. No jeans. No tie. I'd recommend some dress slacks or some khakis and a button-down or polo shirt that matches.... "business casual." After you've seen how the others dress, you can spring off of that for the future if you like. In my own parish, I like to wear dress slacks, dress shirt, and either a sport coat or a sweater depending on time of year (because I tend to get too cold when sitting in church).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  5. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    In the CofE, baptised and communicant members of other churches that subscribe to the doctrine of the Holy Trinity and who are in good standing with their own church are welcome to receive Holy Communion on an occasional basis. If this becomes a regular occurance the Priest should then set forth the norms for reception of HC in the CofE.

As it appears that you haven't been a regular church goer for some years it may be best to refrain from receiving at this time but you could contact the Priest to discuss this beforehand.

The liturgy will include a general confession after which the Priest will pronounce the absolution. Sacramental/auricular confession to a Priest is not obligatory in the CofE.

It is likely that the liturgy will be pared down quite a bit due to Covid restrictions so it may look and feel somewhat different than usual.

In terms of dress, smart casual should suffice in most cases.

6. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    It would be best to call ahead. When I first attended an Anglican service I did not take communion for a bit and I was a regular church goer. I was not sure if I could only take the bread as I take medicine every day that says do not mix with alcohol

7. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

The priest at my parish is still refusing to open the church even though the bishop authorized the resumption of services 2 weeks ago. He's become very fond of drive thru blessings and isn't interested in returning to the altar any time soon.

A phrase I never want to hear again "Out of anabundance of caution..."

8. C. Smith

C. Smith New Member

England
    Religion:
    CofE
    Thanks everyone for your help. Went yesterday and there were no issues at all. Think I was a little over worried; people were as welcoming and friendly as I should really have expected. I didnt take communion but I think I will this weekend.

9. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    Glad all went well for you. :)

Ugh ... I wish my church would open back up. We're 'still' not open because of Covid.
    It's been 5 months since I've been able to worship in person. We are still doing the online thing. But that's nothing like attending personally. :: sigh ::

10. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I miss worship when I can't attend. I missed last week because my child was sick. Then he got tested for Covid and we are all sitting around healthy now in quarantine. Even he has healed and my wife and I are not showing any symptoms so hopefully we will be back this Sunday