How often do/did people read the Book of Common Prayer?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Antony, Jun 28, 2020.

1. JonahAF

JonahAF Moderator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Is it just text, or are there illustrations? We urgently need to find books with good illustrations in them, because that's what today's people need: visual media. The era of a text-only tome has ended. I'm putting a lot of effort to add as many images and graphics into our pre-1800 works as possible.

2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Have you tried praying the Great Litany

3. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    There are some illustrations detailing vestments for priests and bishops and a few other general ones.

Table of contents can be seen in attached file.

1593724903931-5afbc245-9fc4-4429-a0c5-765c60f8ab07.jpg

4. Thomist Anglican

Thomist Anglican Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    No I have not. But I will now add that into my prayer routine. Thank you!

5. S. DeVault

S. DeVault Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I use the 1928 U.S. BCP mainly. I use it daily for morning and evening prayer, or use the shorter family prayers if I'm short on time. I also use the penitential office if I feel like I've commited a grave sin, or have been distant from God. I am hopefully going to begin praying the litany on the days prescribed.

6. JonahAF

Fantastic. A few orders have been placed. It is not unlikely that this book will find itself into being republished on this website in the future, assuming all the copyright benchmarks are passed. A few fascinating images from the book (pardon for derailing the conversation, and please feel free to ignore!):

Surplice, from Denis Taylor, 'In His Presence' (1959).jpg Denis Taylor, God's Family (1962).jpg

7. Dave Kemp

Dave Kemp Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I read morning and evening prayer (1662 BCP) pretty much every day. I try reading the litany on the days appointed as best as I can.

8. Edmundia

Edmundia Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic (Tradition
    JonahAF; wonderful pictures, I can't imagine him (the one in his surplice,scarf and hood -------------no floppy cassock-alb) having Shine Jesus,Shine in his church.
    I have seen In His Presence (1948 edition must surely be the best) but have never seen God's Family, can you tell us a little bit about it,please ?

9. JonahAF

:)

I’m afraid my knowledge of 20th century English works in this area is a bit limited, hence my immense gratitude to @Symphorian for the notice. (And if there are more theological/devotional books with engravings, please let me know!)

As for “God’s Family,” that title came up as a another result from the same author. I’ve ordered them both, not knowing if they contain substantive differences; plus that title page image is worth the price of the whole book.

10. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A book which is illustrated and is back in print is The Practice of Religion by Archibald Campbell Knowles. You can acquire a copy here: https://anglicanprovince.org/shop/the-practice-of-religion/

This was a classic confirmation gift in Anglo-Catholic parishes for many years of the 20th century. It is divided into 2 parts: Instructions and Devotions. Skip the 'Instructions' part unless you don't have a copy of the Baltimore catechism close at hand. The 'Devotions' all have a strong Anglo-Catholic bent as well, as is evidenced by what was chosen for inclusion. There is content such as: Spiritual Communion, Adoration and Intercession, The Way of the Cross, the Angelus, Rosary, etc.

My bishop gave me a copy of a very early printing last time I saw him. I looked threw it and thought parts of it were ridiculous but someone might enjoy it.

11. Cooper

Cooper Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopal
    Amazing how much positive change comes from regular prayer with God.

:tiphat:

Attached Files:

Thomist Anglican likes this.