Membership

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Botolph, Jun 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Too many sugary choruses admittedly are bad for the body, like too many sugary deserts are bad for the figure and too much honey makes you sick. Prov.25:16.

As for vegemite mate, I've got a couple of jars of Marmite I could send downunder for you if you are getting nostalgic. :laugh:

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I know a couple of blokes who lurk and have never established an account. Thinking about it, I'm slightly surprised some Continuing Anglican bishop like Mark Haverland or Peter Robinson is not a regular here.

3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I say invite them in.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

Alright the server team has gotten back, and it is now fixed. A really embarrassing issue that occurred because of a server update some months ago. Ughh. We should be all good now!

Botolph and Magistos like this.
  5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    "Shine Jesus Shine"? Can't say that I've ever heard that one. From the context of your message, I suppose I should be grateful! :laugh:

6. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There you go

Rexlion likes this.
  7. Edmundia

Edmundia Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic (Tradition
    Rexlion; you should thank the Good and Dear Lord that you have been spared it
    (NO THANKS now to Botolph !!!!)
    You have to do the nice hand clapping which livens up a dull service,of course. Is it the most popular hymn ? It is the one sung on every possible occasion (they all choose it for Confirmation, because it's the only one they know) for the youff.

8. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Hmm, to hear it for the first time, not bad at all. I'm sure it would get old if repeated often, as would most any song. I think a church which uses that sort of music could sing it 2-3 times per year and it would stay fresh and meaningful.

9. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Yep: As I said, honey is nice in small quantities but - "Too much honey makes you puke."

I quite like it still, a couple of times a year but it can easily be killed dead by a poor organist or inappropriate musianship and like all new innovations and 'choruses' it will probably not have the enduring quality of a good Wesley brothers hymn and certainly not an equivalently nourishing theological content.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Shane R likes this.
  10. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I gladly notice that once again we are able to welcome new members.

Shane R likes this.
  11. Columba

Columba New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I tried to sign up last November and was unable to and sent an e-mail after several attempts to create an account. Received an e-mail yesterday that the issue has been resolved, and here I am! Glad to join you all at last.

Lots of twists and turns in my journey--which I will share at some point--but I keep coming back to Anglicanism. At forty-one, and after a very tiring two decades with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, I don't think any other spiritual tradition could ever be home.

12. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Welcome, glad you persisted and finally triumphed over adverstity. In the Anglican church there is freedom to be as stodgy or wired up as God makes you. :laugh: Feel free to put your oar in and make way together.

Rexlion likes this.
  13. Thomist Anglican

Thomist Anglican Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic
    I had the same sign up issue as well since last October. Finally got through yesterday! So thankful, been lurking for awhile wanting to share.

Lowly Layman and Rexlion like this.
  14. S. DeVault

S. DeVault Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I, too, tried joining at an earlier date (can't remember when exactly) and for some reason it didn't work.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  15. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

Very glad to see all the new people coming in! Welcome everyone.

Botolph likes this.
  16. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

17. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Sadly, this is only too true.
    I am Admin of a German forum, and we have the same problems.

Shane R likes this.
  18. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I feel like the forums will have a resurgence, because places like Facebook simply can't be trusted to carry on anything more than trivial discussions. If FB doesn't like what you say (ie. you are faithful to Christ, for instance), they will not hesitate to ban you. So communities around trivial connections or discussions, may indeed suffer from attrition to Facebook. But communities oriented around topics that are disliked by Facebook and other atheistic overlords, will most likely thrive in the years to come.

Othniel and Shane R like this.
  19. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I agree with the premise but disagree with why it's true. I don't think Facebook is silly enough to suppress speech to such an extent that people leave en masse (obviously small groups will leave, but that's not going to create an internet-wide resurgence). Facebook is filled with brilliant people, more data then we could possibly imagine, and their only incentive is to maintain the most amount of eyeballs. If you can identify the risk, so can they. The only exception to this is if they're forced into a crackdown because of legislation - at which point Forums will have the same issues.

Rather I see people, young people especially, likely to leave some of Facebook's features for more meaningful discussion platforms because Facebook is just a truly awful discussion platform. I hate Facebook, genuinely. I despise it. I'm forced to use it for work, and if I don't use it outside of work I'll be socially isolated from my friends because Facebook Events has almost entirely replaced mail and email for non-formal event invites, and because Facebook Messenger is probably the best messaging platform available, and significantly more universal than WhatsApp or Discord. I use a news feed eradicator and do not use Facebook for any kind of discussion. It's exclusively a communications platform, I can't tolerate using it for anything else anymore, it's toxic to my productivity and my mental health (in the millenial use of the term, not in a serious way).

This is an opinion virtually everyone in my friend circle shares. We all hate using Facebook, but have mutually trapped each other into using it because of the network effect.

Othniel, Stalwart and Invictus like this.
  20. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I have managed to thrive and have all the social interaction I can cope with and enjoy after cancelling my facebook account 2 and a half years ago.

I have not missed it for as much as a single second and leaving it entirely has increased my sense of well being and connectedness with real people in my local community.

Invictus likes this.