Sacramentals or an Icon Corner

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, May 25, 2020.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Are these ok for Anglicans and if so do you have one in the house?

2. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    I actually have a home alter space in my house.

3. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In principle having a devotional and sacred space is important; a good friend of mine has a wall covered with different kinds of crosses and crucifixes that he's come across, literally a wall with 30-40 crosses; it makes a startling impression when you walk into his house.

I do want to note that there is a major caution to be made for devotion which is heavily centered around icons or visuals. Even if you don't run afoul of critiques like praying to images, keeping your head straight and focused on God alone, here's the thing -- we all know that those who use icons, do so because it helps them "get in the right mindset." And that's the source for the major caution. Why? Because the ancient form of piety was starkly absent of visuals. The apostles, and the ancient hebrews, and the church fathers prayed to a shapeless/formless God. They had no statue of Joseph, or David, or (especially) of God himself; while all the other cults around them had tons of those. It is much harder to get pious in this absence, but that is what God demanded of them. There was such a temptation to start bringing in icons/images (even if safely), but they understood the simple truth: by leaning your devotion on the visuals, you foundationally alter that devotion.

If you can't pray to a formless, shapeless God, it becomes necessary to have holy depictions; you end up being unable to pray or even 'feel' religious without some religious visual to "get you there". Your piety begins to require depictions, portraits, painted or sculpted surfaces. Your piety changes.

It is much harder to keep one's piety without any support of visuals; I completely get how attractive it might be, but if you can keep your piety without any crutch for images, it is a different and higher form of devotion, one which teaches you to focus on the shapeless/formless face of the Ancient of Days; rather than needing a concrete visual, which relieves you by showing a specific painted depiction of a bearded grandpa in the sky.

So I would say, yes for sacred corner; no for icons if you can do it, with the goal of keeping the pristine devotion. Remember St. Anthony in the desert. Be like St. Anthony. (And the Anglican spiritual masters)

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Dave Kemp and Rexlion like this.
  4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
    No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
    (John 1:14, 18)

Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.”
    Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?"
    (John 14:8-9)

Is worship of an imageless formless God a superior form of piety? I think that form of iconoclasm undermines the core teaching that mankind is made in the image of God. Part of Jesus' incarnational purpose was to show us an image of God that is understandable and tangible.

I have a crucifix in all of the bedrooms and the living room. I have a censer and a supply of incense. Candles are common. I've got some rather plain ones but I also have colored ones for a table-top Advent wreath. I don't have any icons and I don't expect to buy any anytime soon. That's not to say I don't approve of them but I use them primarily as a catechetical tool. I've got several books with a variety of them that I show to my children.

I do also keep around the supplies to hold a service of Holy Communion in my home.

5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    One other thing I have a number of are prayer cards. My bishop sends them out with the newsletter sometimes with a Collect or intention for some particular thing printed on the back. I also get them from CBN, Wycliffe Bible Translators and a variety of Roman Catholic sources from time to time - usually when they are hoping I will buy something or make a donation although sometimes they are just a seasonal mail out. I look them over and if I like them I stick them in the spot where I have family prayers.

I don't keep a kneeler in the house. If I want to kneel I have plenty of spare pillows at hand.

6. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    @Shane R what continuing jurisdiction are you in?
    As a member of the ACNA we hold the first 4 councils and the Christological clarifications of the other 3. To me that reads that they approve of the use of icons as I see that as a Christiological clarification but we don't accept as binding the rules and canons laid down by them. But I do think we all think the appropriate use of Icons are ok. I just am not to keen on them.

I plan on eventually having a Cross, setting for a Bible, a prayer journal, and maybe something else in a special spot in the house.

Stalwart likes this.
  7. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    We are made in the image of God. That is, God is tripartite: three Persons, one God. We also are created as tripartite beings made up of spirit, soul and body. But God has no need (for His own sake) of a shape or form, and He took upon Himself the form of a man for our sakes.
    Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
    Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
    Php 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

So I don't think God made man a bipedal anthropoid in order to mimic His own form; rather, I think He is formless and shapeless in His essential being (God is Spirit, but can assume any shape He wishes, of course). That is how I interpret the part about us being made in God's image, but I admit to not knowing everything about God, so YMMV.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  8. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    That would never work at my house. My wife fills every open space with junk. :rolleyes:

bwallac2335 and mediaque like this.
  9. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Dave Kemp likes this.
  10. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA