Communion alternative during COVID-19

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by Lowly Layman, Mar 13, 2020.

1. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I feel like I am in a parallel universe. I suppose being under house arrest does not help. Rexlion you seem to address people in your posts who have not posted. Have those people removed their posts or am I missing something?

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My Lutheran friend Pastor Sullivan made a video about communion in this time. It's about 11 minutes well spent.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Regarding the passing of diseases through the shared cup, to Pastor Sullivan's words I might add that Covid-19 tends to infect people through the airway rather than the stomach. If the virus were deposited on the metal surface or into the wine, the chance of inhalation is very low.

4. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    What I intend to try is Skype/ Facetime Eucharist, where each member has their own wafee and wine, and they partake. A priest could officate.

5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I recall seeing a news story several months back of a TEC diocese that was operating in that manner. It was somewhat controversial and +Michael Curry sort of encouraged them to rethink their practice.

Edit: I found the story here :http://anglican.ink/2020/04/23/wla-bishop-rescinds-virtual-eucharist-permission/

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  6. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    If the priest or bishop officates via Skype, and even had the articles of the Eucharist shipped to parishioners, would it not suffice as alternative?