Feel distant from God

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Geer, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Geer

Geer New Member

Cyprus
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I sometimes feel distant from God, and doubt, being skeptical, I want to have more faith, what should I do?

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Ask God about it. James 1:5.

God is closer to us than the air we breath or the thoughts in our heads.

Job. 23:9-10
    Ps. 139:7-10
    Jer. 23:23-24
    Matt. 25:35-40. (Jesus is as close to you as anyone in need that you meet).
    John 17:1- end.

We often don't feel like God is near us though. Even Jesus may have experienced exactly that. Matt.27:46. Being sceptical is not a sin, it is a natural and necessary consequence of being sensible and cautious. Just don't let it get control of your determination. Place your confidence in God, and especially in Jesus, not just the words of a book or least of all your feelings. Feelings can't always be trusted. We often don't feel loved, but we are. We often don't feel happy, and don't exactly know why. We often don't feel confident, but should trust our own abilities more.

You want more faith? Luke 17:5-10. If you want to increase your faith, start by believing God can.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Thomas Didymus, JoeLaughon and Geer like this.
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I'm not following you around, Tiffy, honest! :halo: LOL.

Geer, have you a good church home? I ask you because this is exactly the sort of question I would ask my church rector if I were in a time of doubt. A little pastoral visit would be a splendid thing in this situation, and please don't be the least bit concerned about "what will he think of me" or any such, because I'm sure he'd love the opportunity to help.

Besides that, another thing that helps many folks with their faith is spending more time reading the Bible. If you haven't done so yet, consider getting a 'read through the Bible in a year' reading schedule and each day read a bit of Old Testament (starting with Genesis), a psalm, and a bit of New Testament (starting with Matthew). Reading these accounts of the great things God has done, even back in the days of Noah, Abraham, and Moses, will help you get a more solid picture of God's reality, goodness, and greatness. I will share a great truth I learned when I was much younger: we become what we think about. What we put into our heads, dwell on, and ruminate on will shape us. So set aside a time slot every morning or every evening just for Bible reading.

Your question made me think of this scripture, Mark 9:17-27:
    And one of the multitude answered and said, Master, I have brought unto thee my son, which hath a dumb spirit; And wheresoever he taketh him, he teareth him: and he foameth, and gnasheth with his teeth, and pineth away: and I spake to thy disciples that they should cast him out; and they could not. He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me. And they brought him unto him: and when he saw him, straightway the spirit tare him; and he fell on the ground, and wallowed foaming. And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child. And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us. Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him. And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him: and he was as one dead; insomuch that many said, He is dead. But Jesus took him by the hand, and lifted him up; and he arose.

Notice that the child's father, desperately wanting his boy to be restored to wholeness, at first said what he figured Jesus wanted to hear, "Lord, I believe..." But I think he knew that, if he were really honest with himself and with Jesus, he actually didn't have much faith that anyone could help his child. He knew he didn't have that much trust in Jesus, yet he wanted to believe (and he didn't want his lack of faith to stand in the way of something so important). So he said, "...help thou mine unbelief." Jesus didn't turn away or refuse. Jesus commanded the evil spirit to come out of the boy. The child was restored to his father. The man's prayer was answered.

You see, God is compassionate and understanding. He knows that we are weak and that we sometimes have doubts. But if we take a step toward Him, He will come the rest of the way to meet us. If we ask Him for help, even if we are unsure whether He will help us, He will act in our best interest. Even in moments when we are relatively unfaithful toward Him, He remains faithful toward us (2 Tim. 2:13), for that is His nature.

God bless you and keep you. I'm praying for you. :thumbsup:

Geer likes this.
  4. Geer

Geer New Member

Cyprus
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thanks, Tiffy and Rexlion, I I will spend more time reading the Bible.

5. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Draw close to God and He will draw close to you.

Geer likes this.
  6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    You Job's comforter you, Joe. :laugh:

James 4:8. Of course not everyone that feels God is distant is to blame for that, but there are many that are. Isa.59:2.

Though even the most ardent believers sometimes suffer the long dark night of the soul.

7. Curious

Curious New Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hi Geer,

Be encouraged!

This year marks 50 yrs in the faith for me.

I can still remember praying with my Methodist church's Sunday School teacher who led us in a prayer of faith and repentance for Christ to save me in 1970. I was only 8 yrs old but remember it still.

Since then I have had many doubts, and even wandered in my teenage years and also after my divorce, but God has never left me and always drew me back to Himself. I give Him all the Glory!

Remember:
    1. It is God who saved you (past tense).
    2. It is God who saves you now (present tense), and
    3. It is God who will continue to save you for all eternity (future tense).

Use the means of grace (as others have mentioned): reading Scripture; prayer both individually and group prayer in Bible Studies and in Church on Sundays; fellowship with other Christians; and ask for counselling from your Church Leadership.

I will add you to my Prayer List if you wish. Let me know.

Be blessed my brother.

Cheers.....Curious
    Always Remember:
    God loves you enough to take you just as you are.
    But God loves you too much to leave you that way!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  8. Curious

Curious New Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    PS reading up on Justification and Sanctification may help you here