A couple questions about Anglicanism.

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Spiritus, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    As some of you may know from previous posts I've been researching Anglicanism and occasionally attending a high church Episcopal and ACC parish for a couple years. At this point a couple questions have come up that I hope you all might be able to help with.

For a layperson do you have to believe and or affirm all the Thirty-nine Articles to be a practicing Anglican in good standing? (I'm not sure if practicing or good standing are correct terms in your tradition but hopefully you get the idea)

I've heard that at least the CoE clergy have to affirm the articles. Are their any churches or jurisdictions that don't make that requirement?

I know the Continuing Anglicans tend to all be high church / Anglo Catholic. Are there any in the movement that are particularly so (preferably more Romish so adoration, rosary, etc)?

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Unless you are going to be ordained or have a preaching ministry in an Anglican Church you will not be required to affirm that you will adhere in your preaching to those 39 Articles. They are not there to define Anglicanism, they are there to prevent the preaching to the people, of doctrines which the Articles refute.

Many Anglicans believe all sorts of weired things. Some very Popish, some very Protestant. As long as they don't preach, teach or otherwise disseminate them to the congregation they are free to believe anything which is consistent with the baptism vows they took upon themselves at baptism or confirmation if baptised in infancy. Those are the only "Vows" I am aware of, required per se, of an Anglican.

Some Anglicans I know, believe some pretty weird things though.

Spiritus likes this.
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I feel very left out!

Tiffy likes this.
  4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    APCK, HCCAR. Those are somewhat reputable groups. If you look around long enough, you can find someone calling himself a bishop doing most anything.

Spiritus likes this.
  5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Some very Orthodox, but that seems more a compliment than a mere observation. :clap::laugh:

Botolph likes this.
  6. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    I've already run into some shall we say less reputable groups and I'd prefer to avoid them. There is a HCCAR parish not too far from me. I think I'll give it a try and see if it's a good fit. I'm in need of a new "second home" while I continue discerning. The ACC parish is moving to a different city even farther away and the TEC parish has taken a turn for the worse (more in line with the standard TEC views) and I no longer feel comfortable going there.

Dave Kemp and Shane R like this.