Some guidance required

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Mark Carrigher, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Mark Carrigher

Mark Carrigher New Member

England
    Religion:
    C of E
    Hi all, I am CofE Anglican and am trying to use the Cambridge BCP 1662. I am noticing that when looking at lessons, the readings specified in the books calender correspond with the readings specified in the daily prayer app? I appreciate daily prayer can be in contemporary mode or traditional BCP mode but it doesn't matter which version of daily office I look at none of it is matching up to my BCP.

I'll give an example, this evenings prayers in the BCP calender says to use Genesis 18 1-17 and Acts 7 through to 8 v5. However when I look at the daily prayer app in the traditional BCP mode the readings are from Joshua and Hebrews respectively.

I cannot see reference to the readings from Joshua and Hebrews on today's date anywhere in the hard-copy BCP. Can anyone explain what I am getting wrong here as I've noticed this across all my readings so I'm obviously not using the calendar of lessons the CofE is following?

Also in addition to the calendar of lessons, there are other scripture readings under a table called 'proper lessons" and this provides two gatherer readings but I couldn't see reference to these being read in evening prayer, are these just for a specific even song service and not to be used in evening prayers?

One last query, so I have two different sets of scripture readings as I've tried to explain above, but if I go to today's collect and readings for the first Sunday after the epiphany (today's church date) there are two further readings from roman's and Luke? Within the order of service for evening prayer it just says to read a lesson from the old/new testament at the corresponding points in the process of the service. So is it the roman's/luke readings, the Genesis act's readings or the romans Luke readings!?

I'm confused here and am just waiting to make sure I am following the churches designated readings. I'm inclined to actually follow the app as I know this is accurate for the CofE but where are these readings specified in the BCP? Could it be that I'm using the wrong version of BCP?

Any assistance would be warmly welcomed and I'm happy to clarify further as I'm sure this reads quite jumbled and rambling.

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A Cambridge BCP should have two lectionaries. There is the original and then a revised table from the 1920s. So look a few pages forward and see if you find a second set of tables and perhaps those will align with the app.

anglican74 likes this.
  3. Mark Carrigher

England
    Religion:
    C of E
    So I have done some further investigating here for anyone interested in this and concluded the following:

- The BCP does have its own calendar of lessons and as Shane R rightly mentions above, a further 'alternative' calendar of lessons.
    - Common Worship uses a series of scripture readings which doesn't correspond to either of the above, it seems to use its own calendar of readings.
    - Common Worship divides daily prayers into 'traditional' - which follows the BCP service, and contemporary which is modern language and follows the Common Worship structure.
    - Neither of Common Worships versions of the daily prayers use either of the BCP's calendars of lessons
    - So if one is CofE and wants to follow the BCP, it seems that the BCP service is used, but you need a separate Common Worship lectionary so that your daily scripture readings/lessons remain consistent with what the rest of the church is reading - otherwise you are reading entirely different scriptures.

Shane R likes this.
  4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Wow, they certainly didn't make it easy for you folks in C of E. Complications! (In ACNA it's much simpler, thankfully.)

By the way, I like your avatar. Carpe fishem! ;)

Mark Carrigher likes this.
  5. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    That sounds correct. And if you actually found the daily lectionary for Common Worship 2000, congratulations, cos I never succeeded there!

And, just to make things more fun, the two Tables of Lessons in the modern 1662 BCP are from 1922 and 19th century; the original is exceedingly difficult to find.

Mark Carrigher likes this.
  6. Mark Carrigher

England
    Religion:
    C of E
    Yes it is a little daunting to manoeuvre around it all if I'm honest.

7. Mark Carrigher

England
    Religion:
    C of E
    Haha thank you. I'm feeling as though I should probably change it however as its somewhat out of place I'm noticing :-/

8. Dave Kemp

Dave Kemp Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I use our BCP also and use the 1922 alternate table of lessons.

9. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I do not know if this is any help to you but The Prayer Book Society publishes Daily Office Online. It gives the full offices of Mattins and Evensong. You would not be able to check if it matches up with what you found for Monday (which I think you were asking about): It provides the Office for today and the two days either side, i.e. yesterday and tomorrow. Here is the link: http://daily.commonworship.com/daily.cgi?today_mp=1&book=bcp