Is it ok to call God upon the name of Jehovah (esp in prayer)? Since the KJV uses it?

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by DarthJupiter, Jan 12, 2020.

1. DarthJupiter

DarthJupiter New Member

Since some churches now use Yahweh, Adonai, and other terms for prayer I assume Jehovah is fine now?

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Traditionally it is completely unacceptable to use God's personal name in prayer, which is why Christians for thousands of years have recoiled against that... Yes you have false 'churches' which use it profanely without giving it a second thought, and that is how you can tell what is a false church, and maybe even a congregation of satan

The Lord did reveal his name to us, which is why we know it, and which is why it might be found in the KJV and in other Bibles, but it is there for us to know it, not to disrespect or abuse it...

3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Didn't this idea, that God's name is too sacred to speak or write, come from the Israelites? The orthodox Jewish go so far as to write "G-d" rather than "God." It is due to their influence that the Old Testament is replete with the capitalized "LORD" in place of God's name. Thanks to the efforts of Pharisaical Judaism, we have lost the correct pronunciation of God's name in the mists of history.

Under the Old Covenant, Israelites were God's servants. Under the New, believers in Christ are God's children and co-heirs with Christ. Jesus taught us to pray with more familiarity than the Jews ever could, as in the prayer which begins, "Our Father..."

Jesus is God, but we do not hesitate to speak and write His name (albeit with a decidedly Greco pronunciation and spelling). I hope we never start substituting something else in the place of the name of Jesus.

If one person believes he is showing greater reverence by not speaking or writing the name of God, well then, I think he should be free to do so; may the Holy Spirit guide his conscience. If another person believes that calling God by the name He revealed to Moses out of the burning bush shows more respect to God as opposed to using the generic word "God" (from theos, which is not at all a name but a descriptor), I think he also should be free to do so (and be free from censure and judgment). We are, after all, under grace and no longer under the Law (Romans 6:14).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Of course, because he is both man and God, and therefore it is no blasphemy to mention his name... although even then most evangelicals with shouting his name on subways or street corners only harden the hate for that name among unbelievers, and therefore themselves become guilty of violating the Commandment of not taking the Lord's name in vain, when they make it a term of mockery for the heathen

5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    If the hearer responds negatively to the name of Jesus, the speaker has sinned for speaking His name? That is a new one to me. :confused:

ACNA Anglicans are evangelicals, too. But not like most other evangelicals, eh? :hmm: We don't shout "Jesus!" ...unless, perhaps, we've just hit our thumb with a hammer.... ;)

6. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    It is possible to make someone hardened against the scriptures methinks.... makes evangelization more difficult than with a primitive people who have never heard His name

7. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    What is the matter with the way we as disciples have been taught by our Master to address God. OUR Father.

Actually we were told by Jesus to address God as Abba, meaning more equivalent to 'Daddy in Heaven'.

8. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I fear I might use other words if I hit my thumb with a hammer. I'd ask the good Lord's forgiveness, though. I once told my son that there are occasions that are appropriate for words that would otherwise be inappropriate. This was after he dropped an armoire on my foot and broke two toes. I didn't blame him though; I should have been a better judge of the situation. I was the experienced one.

I look at it this way - My children, of which I have three, are welcome to call me Daddy, Father, Sir, Dad, Silly, etc...but I look in askance at them calling me by my legal given name. I actually feel incredibly moved when they use Daddy above all else. I would think that our Master feels the same.

9. Rhys

Rhys Member

USA
    Religion:
    Methodist
    The name of God is Jesus. We pray in His name.