1. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Did the advent of Oliver Cromwell, The English Civil War, King Charles I’s execution (I believe he became a symbol fof Catholic revival, him being a martyr), and Puritan rule (even banning Christmas at one point) lead to a revival of Anglo-Papism ans Anglo Catholicism?

2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    No, Anglo Psplism as a phenomenon emerged really at the end of the nineteenth century, it’s pretty alien to Anglicanism as such

The death of St Charles and the temporary bloody triumph of the Dissenters however did prove to the Anglican divines that the danger lay not just from the Roman Catholics any more

JoeLaughon likes this.
  3. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you for clearing that up.

4. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    If you hold similar views to Paisley and you seem to say you are an Anglican could you please clear up a confusion for me? Why does it say that your religion is Traditional Catholic, indeed the Socity of St. Pius X?

JoeLaughon likes this.
  5. Leacock

Leacock New Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I would think he changed his mind at some point in the past half decade.

6. Dave Kemp

Dave Kemp Member Anglican

United States of America
    Religion:
    Church of England
    The Bishop of Rome hath no jurisdiction in this Realm of England.

Oliver Sanderson likes this.
  7. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Looking at Brexit I wonder if any have jurisdiction in this Realm of England!

Dave Kemp likes this.
  8. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Of course, he does, and in Wales, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands too, over the Eastern, Latin and Oriental Catholic churches sui iuris therein.

9. Dave Kemp

United States of America
    Religion:
    Church of England
    No according to the 39 articles, mind you most people in America don’t seem to care about the articles anymore. And before you say, yes sadly in my country too.

10. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I doubt the Pope, Catholic bishops, clergy or laymen in these islands give a hoot about what the Thirty-Nine Articles of Religion say.

As they are form a part of the 1662 edition of the Book of Common Prayer of the Church of England as established by an Act of the UK Parliament I do not know why they would hold sway in the USA which is not subject to UK laws.

11. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    They hold sway in the hearts of the faithful, and in the disciplinary adherence of our spiritual fathers! Both in America, in some pockets of England still, and quite strongly across many Christian parts of the world... The Anglican Communion is the third largest body of Christians in the world

Dave Kemp likes this.
  12. Dave Kemp

United States of America
    Religion:
    Church of England
    As
    I was talking about the Anglican Church over here.

13. youngfogey

youngfogey Member

I realized a while ago that Anglo-Catholicism, what I call Catholic Anglicanism*, and Anglo-Papalism look alike - Roman beliefs and practices - but are opposites! Anglo-Papalism is what people outside Catholic Anglicanism think that is. Anglo-Catholics/Catholic Anglicans were making a claim for the divine authority of Anglicanism against both Rome and other Protestants. Just like the old high churchmen and the Tractarians, none of whom mimicked Rome's beliefs or practices. Anglo-Papalists wanted union with Rome. The only thing they didn't accept from Rome was Rome's ruling on Anglican orders. Inconsistent, private judgement, but there you had it. Indeed, why not just convert? I agree that some - it was a mostly English phenomenon though small - have gone to the British ordinariate, which makes sense. I think the old Pastoral Provision - regular Roman Catholics but married convert priests - makes more sense for them because they were never about the BCP or KJV - that's American anglophilia; they used the Novus Ordo for years when they were still Anglicans. In England the BCP was used against Catholic Anglicans.

*Because "Anglo-Catholic" now includes ordinariate Roman Catholics and Western Rite Orthodox.

Shane R likes this.
  14. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Your choice of employing words in a particular manner does not make such use correct. Anglo-Catholic is a term used to refer to Anglicans who follow the Catholic tradition within the Anglican Communion.

Members of the personal ordinariates are not Anglicans. They are Roman Catholics. They have retained some praxis known as Anglican Patrimony.

The Western Rite Orthodox is not something I spend much time thinking about other than they are a contradiction in terms. The Eastern Orthodox are Eastern Christians with their own praxis and I have never understood why they would want to give it up.

It is not true to say that all Anglo-Catholics have abandoned the Book of Common Prayer for the modern form of the Roman Rite.

15. youngfogey

youngfogey Member

I say "Catholic Anglicans" to make it clear they're Anglicans whilst the ordinariate Roman Catholics and Western Rite Orthodox are not. Useful because the uninitiated think "Anglo-Catholics" means "English Roman Catholics"!

Western Rite Orthodoxy isn't born Orthodox giving up their rite but a bait-and-switch for the few Catholic and Anglican converts they get who want to keep their rites. They really don't keep them; those rites are byzantinized out of existence there.

Shane R likes this.