Happy Michaelmas Everyone!

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Liturgyworks, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    I just thought I would wish all members a blessed feast of St. Michael and the Angels, historically an important feast in England, for it marks the beginning of the first of the three traditional terms at Oxford and Cambridge (the others being Hilary Term, named for the anti-Arian Church Father St. Hilary of Poitiers, also known as “the Latin Athanasius”, commemorated on Jan 14, and the Trinity Term, which begins on Trinity Sunday).

In the US today is also traditionally a day for so-called Blue Masses in Anglican, Lutheran and RC churches, dedicated to the safety and welfare of police officers, firemen, paramedics and other first responders. Let us therefore pray for their well being, particularly in light of the large increase in tragic police fatalities this year.

God bless all of you.

dariakus and A Garden Gnome like this.
  2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I was just going to say, happy Michaelmas everyone! My local seminary keeps to the traditional dates and terms from Oxford and Cambridge.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  3. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Indeed, happy Michealmas! Today also happens to be the 80th anniversary of the consecration of my church, St Gabriel's, and is of course also it's patronal festival. Just got back from a wonderful Mass at which our diocesan bishop was present, plus a whole host of other clergy.

SS Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael, pray for us (if you are so inclined to ask such things of the Heavenly Host, of course!)