ACNA Hymn Singing

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Jeffg, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Jeffg

Jeffg Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutherpalian
    So I've been periodically attending a ACNA mission start near where I live. Overall I like it, no congregation or Church is perfect , and as I go through a discernment as to where I am going to find a Church home, this one is pretty close to the top of my list of places to eventually call my "church home" . But I've noticed that they sing a LOT more, and I've been brought up in a High Church Lutheran/Episcopal traditions. In this weeks e-mail newsletter, it listed ten hymns that will be sung. I'm used to about 4 or 5. Is this a new thing, or have I simply attended chuch's that skipped some singing. Here's the list :
    PREVIEW OF SUNDAY'S MUSIC

Opening Hymn: Revelation Song
    Penitential Response to the Law: Trisagion
    Hymn of Praise: A Hymn to God the Father
    Gradual Hymn: Come Light Our Hearts
    Meditation Hymn: A Mighty Fortress
    Offertory & Setting of the Table: Christ is the Life of the World
    Liturgy of the Table: Sanctus & Agnus Dei
    Communion Hymn: Good to Me
    Communion Hymn: My Soul Finds Rest in God Alone
    Closing Hymn: All Glory be to Christ

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's pretty standard, and not all of these are hymns in the modern understanding. For example the Sanctus and Agnus Dei are better called canticles, as they aren't your long-form song with chorus, many stanzas, etc. Sanctus is an ancient canticle which goes like this:
    https://hymnary.org/text/holy_holy_holy_lord_god_of_power_and_mig

Additionally, at least in my parish, during the Eucharistic rite the hymns are not meant to be sung by the whole congregation other than for the few who want to join in. They are played and sung by the choir, or only by the organ, while the congregation walks up to receive the Sacrament.

So in terms of full modern hymn music, with everybody singing a lengthy piece with multiple stanzas, I'd say these are the 4-5 you were thinking of:

3. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    I agree with Stalwart. You're singing hymns/worship songs plus certain parts of the 'ordinary' or fixed parts of the eucharistic liturgy.

For a sung Eucharist at my church we have 5 traditional hymns (Introit, Gradual, Offertory, Communion and Recessional.) Sometimes I replace the Gradual hymn with a sung metrical Psalm.

We don't have a choir but congregationally sing several parts of the 'Ordinary of the Mass' (usually to Merbecke) including the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus/Benedictus and Agnus Dei. The Credo is spoken.

During Communion I play a short soft Voluntary on the organ. By the time I've finished there are most members of the congregation are back in the pews to start singing the Communion hymn.

4. Jeffg

Jeffg Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutherpalian
    My Previouse experience was usually a Canticle and Communion song. i.e. "Lamb of God." Just seems they've added a hymn at the end of the service. Instead of a recessional hymn, they sing two, Also having been brought up Lutheran, I think I've heard the "opening hymn" titled as "processional". The particular ACNA church is still small, so not a lot of clergy "processing' at the beginning of the service, just the mission start clergy and a newly ordained deacon/soon to be ordained priest...think we used to call them "vicars" in the context of they were kind of clergy in training or something