Are there any Anglican equivalent to the Knight of Columbus

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Geer, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Geer

Geer New Member

Cyprus
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Does the Anglican communion have any organization that are similar to the Catholic Knight of Columbus?

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    There are the Knights of St. Christopher, in England and in the English colonies, especially Nigeria where there's a huge flourishing of the Knights of St. Christopher. Thousands of members, seasonal parades down the streets, that kind of thing.

Many nigerian priests and immigrants into the US and the UK are actually knights and bring their traditions with them.

Geer likes this.
  3. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I can't seem to find any information about them with a quick Google, as it seems the name is associated with a TV program of some sort. The dog head on him (St Christopher) is interesting though, if not a little disturbing.

4. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    When I went to Nigeria I was told by the Knights that it was started in England. Perhaps it was a missionary order, commissioned for the colonies, which now survives (and thrives ) in the lands of the wider Empire/Commonwealth.
    61630888_2219482361492938_7071882442793025536_n.jpg

39557614_10215670560532102_4633264410863861760_n.jpg

Here are some whites that also appear to be a part of it:
    10426146_10204221337679180_1214376647339200047_n.jpg

Another similar institution is the Mothers Union. There are millions of Anglican women in Africa who are in the Mother's Union, in that distinctive blue outfit. From what I've been told, it was a widespread English institution in the 19th century, but by now has all but died-out in England. Here are a few paltry remnants:
    Cheshire Show Helpers cr.jpg

But survives among the millions of Anglican women in the lands of the old Empire:
    Mothers-Union-1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Wow, that's interesting. It takes me back to my early-adult years when I joined the K of C, 4th Degree. Mostly because it made my uncle (another 4th Degree member) happy, and because I fancied myself dressing up in the tux and cape and chapeau and sword. All the wrong reasons to join a group. I only went to the meetings so I could play cards afterward with the guys!

6. Bright

Bright New Member

us
    Religion:
    Christine
    How can i find Catholic Knight of Columbus of USALink?