Confused on Anglicanism

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Jun 19, 2019.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I am enjoying my study of Anglicanism. What I am confused on is what is core beliefs that all branches of Anglicanism can agree on? I read yesterday that even the 39 articles are not universally agreed on.

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The only reason you’re seeing differences is because of the sin of disobedience. Some branches of the Church simply refuse to accept and submit to the historic doctrine. And whereas in the past such were tried and made to submit (via ecclesiastical courts), in the last 50 or so years the discipline has so slackened that they are left to roam free and destabilize the whole worldwide Communion.

Juliana, Dave Kemp, dariakus and 2 others like this.
  3. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    If you are looking for what is the belief of the Anglican Communion you are looking to be confused. Your quest will encounter two problems. The first is the Anglican Communion has never issued a Confession outlining its articles of belief, unlike many mainstream Protestant denominations. Secondly, far too many of the churches in the Communion are infected with liberalism and modernism meaning that many orthodox beliefs have been abandoned.

I've been in the Church of England all my life and have always been involved with it. If you asked me to write a statement of what we believe I would greatly struggle. It now seems to me that it is up to the conscience of the individual to believe what he wants or to believe nothing at all. I belong to the [true] Anglo-Catholic wing of the Church of England. Together, with the Evangelical wing we attempt to maintain the true Faith.

A good starting point, though, after those negative words, would be to explore the 12 articles of the Apostles' Creed. They are the basic tents of what we [should] believe.

dariakus and Juliana like this.
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Moderator Staff Member Anglican

Despite what has been said here, the historic doctrines of the Church of England have been clear and unambiguous, until the coming of modernism and church wars. We make available the historic texts which embody and exemplify these doctrines on our site: https://anglican.net/

We have experienced those church wars on this forum in our early years: various kinds of people trying to claim to be Anglican and fighting each other without a clear arbiter. This was the cause for a major reorganization of the Forums, to what you see now:

The Anglicans Forums Reformation, Advent 2014
    https://forums.anglican.net/threads/anglican-forums-reformation-advent-2014.1257/

That was the moment when we made mandatory the doctrinal principles and guidelines which historically enshrined Anglican doctrines in centuries past. Particularly we do this in the Oath of Subscription, which outlines clear historic and doctrinal guidelines for what has always constituted being an Anglican. The historic works we have published, and many more which we are about to publish, exemplify and clarify Anglican doctrine in as many areas of life and theology as we'll have resources for.

Thus we make it easier to be an Anglican on this site, than in many places in person, because those physical places no longer provide the doctrinal framework which we have reintroduced from the historic church, and wholeheartedly cherish on this site.

5. Juliana

Juliana Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Anglican - Anglo-Catholic
    We have experienced those church wars on this forum in our early years: various kinds of people trying to claim to be Anglican and fighting each other without a clear arbiter. This was the cause for a major reorganization of the Forums, to what you see now:

The Anglicans Forums Reformation, Advent 2014
    https://forums.anglican.net/threads/anglican-forums-reformation-advent-2014.1257/

Reading this has made this place an oasis!

Phoenix likes this.