What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Old Christendom, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    I was reading the Purgatorio by Dante. Did you know he wrote it after the Inferno and Paradiso? He never saw Purgatory, but the Catholic Clergy did not like its ommission and so ‘pressured’ him to write it.

The Purgatorio is useful to understand the Catholic doctrine of Purgatory, particularly if you have the introduction in the Barnes & Noble Edition:

784D718A-2E32-4CED-8427-A49FA714D57E.jpeg

Thomas Didymus and Cooper like this.
  2. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Currently reading a local author to me, Thomas Hardy Far From the Madding Crowd.

Cooper likes this.
  3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I am reading The Five Quintets and waiting on a biography of De Gaulle to come in tomorrow. I just read a book called Four Witness: The Early Church in her own Words. Written by a Catholic but quotes a good bit from Ireneous, Clement, Polycarp, Justin Martyr

4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    With Jesus to the Priesthood by Jules Grimal. This is a Roman Catholic devotional text for seminarians and clergy that was originally written in French. My bishop asked the dean to send it to me last year and I'm just now picking it back up. The translation was done in 1932. It's rather stylistically like Knox's Bible. It's not my favorite book ever but the Bishop asked me to read it.

Thomas Didymus, Cooper and Shaun like this.
  5. Shaun

Shaun Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Currently, Job & Mark.

I run two chapters of each side by side daily. I just keep doing this continually with both Testaments.

I recently finished the New Testament for the second time, however, I still continue to discover things I previously missed, specific scripture that makes me think, Wow, so out comes the pen and I write it down.

I was using a 'Bible in a Year' plan but once completed I just resumed with 2 Old Testament Chapters & Two New Testaments Chapters every morning. I am sure there are better ways to target my readings. I am enjoying it.

My plan is to just keep reading and reading, again and again, seeking to discover more and more treasures contained within the Bible. I'd also like to, at some point, try many different versions of the available Bibles, having only looked through two. I have discovered I am a fan of the older language used. As I read through this sites posts, I see things which interest me, like the BCP. A must have at some point on my journey as I seek to come ever closer to God.

6. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My parish briefly tried a three year lectionary last year. All through Lent, we were reading from Mark. It immersed me in the text and opened it to me in a new way. For the first time, I realized that Mark's Gospel is very spiritually charged - really electrified! I've never done a side by side comparison but I suspect he writes of exorcism more than any of the other Gospelers. I feel like I wrote a few good sermons in the period and one Sunday I was even down at the Chancery and the Bishop let me preach.

Thomas Didymus and Shaun like this.
  7. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I have begun reading "Essential Truths for Christians" by Rodgers.

Shaun likes this.
  8. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    At the moment I am reading the Psalms and The Imitation of Christ.

9. WendyP

WendyP Member

UK
    Religion:
    Christian
  10. WendyP

WendyP Member

UK
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you, I love Umberto Eco's books, but I didn't know about this one.

11. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I have been reading "The Believing Brain" by Michael Shermer. Don't agree entirely with his reasons for rejecting deity belief, but have found his insights and research into how we humans think, (and so often get our conclusions wrong), very enlightening. Also reading "How to be Right in a World gone wrong". By James O'Brien. Another real eye opener, on how to spot a closed mind and avoid being infected by the condition.

Thomas Didymus and Shaun like this.
  12. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    Hi WendyP. :: waves :: I actually used to work with a Wendy P. And I thought seeing your user name, it might have been her. But, I see where you're from, so impossible to be the same person. Ha!

Have a most Blessed weekend and Sunday! :)

WendyP and Shaun like this.
  13. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I recommend "The Spiritual Brain" as a stark contrast by Mario Beauregard, a neuroscientist who is more open to the idea of the soul and belief in God. Not a Christian himself, but sympathetic to theism. It was co-written with Denyse O'Leary, a Roman Catholic who writes on issues concerning science and faith. Thomism is taught as a dogma in the RCC, and seems to fit best in relation to how we can reconcile belief in a soul with current neuroscience knowledge i.e.; that not everything is done by our brains.

Also, from online:
    "In recent years, the cognitive neuroscientist Walter Freeman proposes that Thomism is the philosophical system explaining cognition that is most compatible with neurodynamics, in a 2008 article in the journal Mind and Matter entitled "Nonlinear Brain Dynamics and Intention According to Aquinas."

Thomas Didymus likes this.
  14. Jeffg

Jeffg Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutherpalian
    Just about to start Dietrich Boenhoeffers "Life Together" . Have read it before, but love it. Next inline: Thomas Mertons' Contemplative Prayer

15. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I recently started in on "Fullness and Freedom" by the Rev. R. C. "Dick" Lucas. It's a sort of commentary (more like a study or study) through the books of Colossians and Philemon. The author was my parents' first pastor when they came to faith in London back in the 70's :)

Thomas Didymus and Will_ like this.
  16. Will_

Will_ Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Rev. Dick Lucas is a wonderful teacher and preacher. I understand he is still active at around age 90! Here is a sermon series he did almost thirty years ago:

https://www.st-helens.org.uk/resources/series/140/

Fr. Brench likes this.
  17. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Yeah, I saw something similar online recently and was amazed to find he's still around too! My poor parents, I'm not sure they ever found a preacher who could quite live up to his standards once they married and settled Stateside...

Will_ likes this.
  18. WendyP

WendyP Member

UK
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hi Mediaque :)
    Yes, I've only ever worked in the UK, so must be a different Wendy P!
    Wishing you a light-filled week.

mediaque likes this.
  19. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am currently reading “City of God” by Augustine of Hippo and “Are We Together? A Protestant Analysis of Roman Catholicism,” by R.C. Sproul.

20. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    How is the book by Sproul?