Competition: Holiness vs. Worldliness

Discussion in 'Family, Relationships, and Single Life' started by rcconvert, Jul 1, 2019.

1. rcconvert

rcconvert New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    I am a father of five children: 3 are young adults (1 is a registered nurse set to get married to a fine young man next year; 2 are in college with part-time jobs); 1 in high school and the other is in elementary.

Situation: The attractiveness of materialism, consumerism, hedonism, entertainmentism (new word I made up), and social mediaism is POWERFUL. Yikes. 3 of my 5 kids love Jesus and participate in church and the sacraments. 2 are much more attracted to the lures of the world--1 of the 2 has completely given over to the lures of the world and doesn't believe in anything spiritual.

How is everyone else dealing with this within the context of family and everyday life? How do you deal with it within your own mind and conscience?

Shaun likes this.
  2. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Oh man, I have so much to say about this, especially evangelical 'entertainment' such as CCM (Contemporary Christian Music). I am personally sick of what's being pushed on us in the media. I try not to get too caught up in trends or pop culture fads such as who is into the coolest fantasy/sci-fi....What was considered cool back then is not considered cool now, and those who tell their kids that Game of Thrones was the greatest thing since sliced bread are going to hear a lukewarm response when they find out that not only is it considered outdated but also too 'conservative' for what they'll like in the near future. God's principles and values, wisdom and everything else found in the teachings of the church and of course scripture are timeless and worthwhile even if some secularists mock it with their pathetic excuse for morality.

While it's nice that the more nerdy types are now accepted in our culture, the idea of intellectualism = atheism has not gone away, and is further reimbursed in the 'nerd' culture, who are not only extremely secular but desensitized and reprobate from indulging in every kind of filth they have access to on the internet. That, and their 'awkwardness' has made them feel it appropriate to be affiliated with other absurd lifestyles and persons who practice and endorse all kinds of filth like the fact that we have 500+ different genders, the idea that one can use civil rights to protect their identity as a werewolf, etc.

As someone who is somewhat on the 'geek' spectrum, it's good that undeserved stereotypes of us have been wiped away but you must remember that those who fit the stereotypical mold that led to us being hated so much in the older days are still around, always have been, and haven't really gone away. These ones are inappropriately endorsed by weirdos who think they're doing us a favor with their pathetic excuse for public 'representation'.

Also, the geek culture is unbelievably consumerist. The collecting mania seen in stores everywhere like Funko Pop figures, and other worthless collectibles show you how tedious and impractical the pursuit of these things is. You will never be satisfied and never be able to afford and watch every DVD set you can get your hands on for every season of the shows you like, and in some ways, as much as I'd hate to say it, there is just too much innovation in the entertainment we consume which encourages following it into an addiction. Right now, my main sources of comfort are my pocket copy of the Imitation of Christ, my Anglican rosary to aid in meditations, and whatever copy of the bible I am reading at the moment. It's simple and the bible encourages this.

3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    You set the example for your kids, you love on 'em, and you pray-pray-pray for 'em. (A set prayer time as a family group, even 5 minutes of holding hands and praying extemporaneously, can help.) Even when they're grown, you keep praying that God will give them the wisdom and knowledge to make the right choices. But when all is said and done, they grow up and become responsible for their own decisions, and we parents shouldn't beat ourselves up; hindsight is 20:20.

I'm wondering about your avatar, rcconvert. Looks like an old English 'D'. Tigers fan?

rcconvert likes this.
  4. rcconvert

rcconvert New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Very observant. Born and raised in the 313. Worked at "The Joe" before joining the Army. Been in California since the early 90s.

5. rcconvert

rcconvert New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Simplification and focus.