What about calendars in Europe marking Monday as the 1st day of the week

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by rstrats, Apr 16, 2014.

1. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Sabbath day has a particular significance as the perpetual commemoration of God's creation of the universe, as explained in Exodus 20:10 which you just posted - the LORD blessed the seventh day and hallowed it.

See also Leviticus 23:3 "Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings."

It is a specific day of rest ordained for all time, not merely a requirement to rest on any one day in seven. And yes, you are correct to say that this rule is also binding concerning a man's treatment of his employees.

It is true that it is not nessecary to slavishly obey the letter of the Law, but nor can one change the meaning of the Law to suit their own purposes.

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    So when it comes down to it in fact Peter it all boils down to this: You keep God's commandments as you understand them, and we'll keep God's commandments as we understand them, and let God eventually decide when we stand before Him, who was right and who not. Romans 14:4. And Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, so He should know.

Perhaps you would be happier worshipping as a Seventh Day Adventist, rather than with us 'heretics'. :book:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  3. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Perhaps you would be better living in charity with your fellow Christians! I called no-one a heretic, I merely expressed my view. As you say, I have my interpretation and you have yours, but please do not pretend that your view has canonical status for all Anglicans.

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I wouldn't say it was an uncharitable act to suggest a fellow Christian they might be happier in a denomination that holds to similar doctrines to those they seem to have espoused. Certainly you would find less cause to think others less obedient to all ten commandments than yourself.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  5. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    How do you reconcile this with the main Sunday worship serviced found in almost all Anglican churches?

My own view on the seventh day, both in Genesis and in the Ten Commandments, is that it is talking about the repose of our Lord in the tomb on Holy Saturday, the supreme sabbath, to which “let all mortal flesh keep silent” is the central hymn in the Byzantine Rite observance

6. Silvan

Silvan Active Member

South Germany
    Religion:
    Catholic

We were always brought up to believe that Monday was the first day of the week, and for me, for what it's worth, I suppose it still is.

7. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA

So on what day of the week do you think the resurrection took place?

8. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    This article seems relevant.

The Anglican church starts its yearly calendar from the first Sunday in Advent.

It would therefore be incongruous for the Anglican church to consider the Monday following the first Sunday in Advent to be the first day of the Christian year. It therefore is also the first day of each Christian week.

However it is not the first work day of any week. So it is logical to have calendars with Monday marked as if it is the actual beginning of the week. The actual end of the working week depends upon your terms of employment. For most people it is Friday evening. For others Saturday noon and yet others Saturday evening. Others work shifts or watches so all of this is just theoretical when applied to their actual working week.

Why are we even discussing this? :confused: