Canadian Anglican Church

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Steve Orr, May 28, 2019.

1. Steve Orr

Steve Orr New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Greetings. Having looked around the site, I gather that most people who hang around here are quite orthodox and not so progressive/liberal. Please correct me if I am not correct and forgive me if I over-generalize.

I have recently contacted our local Anglican pastor/priest and she explained that our local parish has a shared ministry with the very liberal United Church of Canada, and that they are also in communion with the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Canada. She also said matter of factly that they are quite liberal. The next closest Anglican parish is an openly gay-affirming parish, and thus perhaps even more liberal.

I suspect that the Anglican Church of Canada would not be considered orthodox by many/most Anglicans. Is this true? How is the Anglican church in Canada viewed around the world by other Anglicans? Does anyone here belong to it? Do most Anglican churches deny females the right to lead a church? Is this just a Canadian and Episcopalian thing?

Forgive my ignorance. I am quite new to investigating Anglicanism and I am genuinely curious. Any insights welcome.

Many thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This is quite interesting to me because I have recently been asked to move to BC and take over a parish, not in ACoC. This Canadian mission has been on the burner for a while in my jurisdiction. A former Canon Missioner and I had targeted Hamilton, ON at one point but nothing ever came of the effort. ACoC is indeed dubious in its orthodoxy but in my opinion, the splinter group ANiC is hardly better. Whereas the ACoC compromises on the teachings of the church, ANiC is prone to compromising on the worship of the church and, at least in BC, does some truly odd stuff in the course of a service.

3. Steve Orr

Steve Orr New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Well, I hope you enjoy BC, if you come. It is a beautiful province. What part? Good luck!

4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Victoria.

5. Steve Orr

Steve Orr New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    It doesn't get much better than that! GREAT little city. Expensive, though.

Shane R likes this.
  6. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    I would go for that if I were you, if you can afford housing.

Shane R likes this.