The English Missal

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by PDL, May 12, 2019.

1. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Does anyone know from where I can purchase a copy of the English Missal? I’ve been on its publisher’s Web site (Canterbury Press) and they say it’s unavailable. It’s also unavailable on Amazon. There’s one copy of AbeBooks but I’m not paying £847! Is it possible to download a copy, e.g. in PDF format, from the Internet?

2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    I've never come across a PDF of the English Missal (aka Knott Missal) but there is a PDF of the closely related Anglican Missal here:

https://archive.org/details/anglicanmissal00churuoft

There is a PDF of the Ordo Missae from the Knott Missal here:

http://www.angelfire.com/pa3/OldWorldBasic/knottmissal.html

There are a couple of used copies of the English Missal on Amazon UK priced around £60.

I have a 1958 edition of the Knott, not an Altar edition but a handy sized version intended for laity.

youngfogey likes this.
  3. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Thank you for that information.

What are the differences between the English Missal and the Anglican Missal? I presume there must be some; otherwise, there would seem to be no reason for the different names.

I believe the English Missal is very much simply an English translation of the Roman Missal. I do possess several Roman Missals of what the Latins now call the Extraordinary (pre-Vatican II) Form. Do I, in effect, have the English Missal in all but name?

4. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    I have a copy of the Roman 'St Andrew Daily Missal' (Lefebvre) from the early 1950's and my Knott Missal aligns very closely with it. The English translation from the Latin is rendered slightly differently in each. The Knott includes bits and pieces from The BCP Communion service. The St Andrew is quite nice in that it includes liturgical and historical notes providing useful background info.

I haven't looked at the Anglican Missal closely but the online one that I linked includes Eucharistic Prayers from several different uses/rites.

I wonder how many CofE churches use the English Missal? I know there are still a few. I used to attend a Forward in Faith parish where it was used but the Rector resigned just about the time when the first female Priest's were ordained. He didn't swim the Tiber but took early retirement. Ironically, the said parish soon got a female Priest in Charge.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  5. Edmundia

Edmundia Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic (Tradition
    The English Missal Altar Edition and the small English Missal for the laity varied considerably as to the details of the rites and propers and according to date. The English Missal, like the Anglican Missal, has everything Prayer Book English, in some cases following the BCP (for some collects ; as alternatives where they differ from the Roman Missal) all the scripture is from KJV (as with the Anglican Missal). The E.M. follows the tridentine Kalendar of feasts, but sometimes the BCP alternative is given : in one edition the BCP propers are added as a appendix.

The Anglican Missal removes some of the more Roman feasts : English Martyrs and it is found substantially in the useful MANUAL OF CATHOLIC DEVOTION (Church Union) the rite is more BCP; probably the Prayers of Consecration and Oblation joined and not the Roman Canon.

All those old books varies a lot from edition to edition and are often hard to follow. the Ordinary of the EM varied and some editions had more BCP than others. I think you could offer the entire BCP rite using it or the complete Tridentine Rite using it, or in many cases a mixture of both.
    I think the number of churches which now or in the past used the strict Tridentine Rite must have been small; but I may be wrong. in practice many had a mix'n' match. At some "extreme" churches,I am told, they had the silent prayers in Latin and the Loud or medium voice prayers in English.

The now defunct society ECCLESIA produced a directory (for England) in about 1973, of Traditional rite AC churches, which included: Series I, E.M. and PrayerBook Catholic. I imagine even if you could find a copy it would be severely out of date.

Symphorian: I would love to know where the EM churches are: All SS. North St,York, a church in Southport, St Magnus, the Martyr,London Bridge on Sundays. But others........................?

6. Edmundia

Edmundia Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    SORRY.................more.
    Liturgical Dinosaurs might enjoy reading a five part study of the history,ritual and use of the English Missal in Fr John Hunwicke's blog: Mutual Enrichment, June/July 2015.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  7. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    That's so sad/tragic....

Liturgyworks likes this.
  8. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I have a confession to make but perhaps was not culpable at the time I posed my question. I already possess a copy of the English Missal.

We moved recently and are still unpacking. The other evening whilst routing I emptied a box in which I found lots of surprises, things I had forgotten we had. Among the items was a copy of the people's edition of the English Missal published by Knott in 1955.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, me maxima culpa.

Br. Thomas and Shaun like this.
  9. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Liturgyworks and PDL like this.
  10. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Thank you very much.

11. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I celebrated according to that rite on Easter this year. I was supplying at a parish that calls me once in a while when they need a priest to come out. They like the Missal service and have little booklets printed out for the congregation. The American Missal offers three options for the 'Canon of the Mass': 1549, 1928, and Roman (pre-Novus Ordo). The Canadian book only has one, which most closely resembles the 1928 BCP and which is the form they have printed in their little pew books.

12. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Would you happen to have a URL? His blog is quite vast...

Indeed. :(

13. Edmundia

Edmundia Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Off hand I cannot remember, but I think the dates were in very late June 2015 and then early July. If you get a post for June, 2015 you will see the list of posts at the side for that month and then click on English Missal, as required. Let me know if you can't and then I'll check exact dates for you.

14. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    His blog is at: http://liturgicalnotes.blogspot.com/

The first blog in a series of five was posted on 28th June 2015. The archive for his blogs are on the left.

15. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    Indeed so, I shall hunt around for the post in question.

16. JOHN LUKE VIANNEY

JOHN LUKE VIANNEY New Member

Philippines
    Religion:
    Catholic Anglican
    The English Missal is the English version of the Tridentine Rite.

17. John Politis

John Politis New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    The Anglican Missal offers three options for the 'Canon of the Mass': 1549, 1928, and Roman(pre-Novus Ordo). The American book(Missal) only has one, which most closely resembles the 1928 BCP and which is the form they have printed in their little pew books.

18. JOHN LUKE VIANNEY

Philippines
    Religion:
    Catholic Anglican
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  19. JOHN LUKE VIANNEY

Philippines
    Religion:
    Catholic Anglican
    I need the pdf file of the People's Anglican Missal in the American Edition. Please share. Thank you.