Old Catholics and Anglicans

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Jeffg, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Jeffg

Jeffg Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutherpalian
    Does anybody have any insights, opinions, etc. on Old Catholics and Anglicans, how close they are theologically, recognition of each others services, holy orders etc ? There is a church close to me that I have attended occasionally that was kind of an independent Anglican Church, using the 1928 BCP. They had Episocopal oversight (i.e. a Bishop) from an Old Catholic Church out of British Columbia. Recently they changed their denominational affiliation from "Anglican" to "Old Catholic" on their web sight. I attended services at the Church for the first time in a long time on Easter and they were using the Old Catholic liturgy instead of the BCP 1928. Just tossing this out for discussion and some thoughts around Anglican/Old Catholic affiliation, etc.

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Old Catholic Churches of the Union of Utrecht
    [​IMG]
    Old-Catholics are a group of national churches which at various times separated from Rome. The term "Old-Catholic" was adopted to mean original Catholicism.

The Anglican Communion signed the Bonn Agreement with the Old Catholic Churches of the Union of Utrecht in 1931. This agreement of "inter-Communion" has formed the basis for an ongoing relationship mediated by the Anglican-Old Catholic International Co-ordinating Council.

Anglicans and Old Catholics are welcome to participate fully in each other’s worship and receive communion at celebrations of the Eucharist; clergy may act fully in each other’s churches. This was the first agreement of its kind that Anglicans had ever concluded.

https://anglicancommunion.org/ecumenism/churches-in-communion.aspx

Dave Kemp likes this.