Booze

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Alcibiades, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Member

Perfidious Albion
    Religion:
    Uncertain
    All the talk of Gin and lace in that other thread got me wondering about people's choice tipples. Or whether they drink at all. Or other indulgences for that matter (though out of respect for the gathered crowd, papal ones are excluded).

Horace apparently said: Wine brings to light the hidden secrets of the soul, gives being to
    our hopes, bids the coward flight, drives dull care away, and teaches
    You know, I think he may have been onto something. If there ever was a beverage the equal of philosophy it must be noble wine I do find my thought a lot more lucid after a couple of glasses. Am I alone in this?

2. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Maybe the real question is, do other people find your thoughts more lucid after you have had a couple of glasses of wine?:) I drink so little I got my wife lost in a patch of bush only 400mtrs wide after drinking half a bottle of wine.

3. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    Single malt.

4. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Beer occasionally. Newcastle Brown Ale, Samuel Adams, Guinness Stout. I am not much of a wine drinker, but a good Claret, or some Sangria is nice in the summer. :)

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Member

Perfidious Albion
    Religion:
    Uncertain

Ha! That is a fair point, and in fact I've just realized that actually I deleted part of the Horace quote, in full it runs:
    Wine brings to light the hidden secrets of the soul, gives being to
    our hopes, bids the coward flight, drives dull care away, and teaches
    new means for the accomplishment of our wishes.
    Clearly the small glass of sherry that inspired the post was already too much!
    Nevertheless, I always am attracted to the idea of the classical symposium. for some reason modern symposia separate the wine from the discourses, and wine is consigned to the dinner party where a strictly 'light' tone is usually maintained.

Apparently Guinness with some port in it is rather good. Though possibly port is rather an English habit that isn't widely copied? What is the Ale situation like in the US? I've always been curious, 'American beer' is more or less dirty word over here but is this an unfair conclusion? One of the view upsides to my residence actually is the enormous and ever-shifting variet.y of local ales and ciders that seem to come through, all with charming names like 'dance the severn vales', 'moongazer' 'old rosie' 'mr. squirrel' 'ghost ship' 'sidepocket' and the intriguing rum/cider combo the 'yo-ho-ho' which was terrible and should never be consumed ever.

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Member

Perfidious Albion
    Religion:
    Uncertain
    {Edit} Oops, Double Post!

7. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    As to American beer, I'm the wrong side of the water to be definitive, but I suspect your impressions are out of date: the real ale community in England is, I think, now rather admiring of the small breweries now operating in the States. Here's some stuff from
    Martyn Cornell's excellent and very knowledgeable site that gives some clues about the present state of play:

http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/ordinary-to-britons-extraordinary-to-americans/

8. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    It is very true that the small breweries here produce some fine ales and beers, but the mass-produced beers, such as Budweiser, Miller, and Coors, are poor examples of the brewers art. I have never heard of Guinness with Port; I would like to try that sometime.

9. Cross & Crook

Cross & Crook New Member

Religion:
    Dutch Reformed
    The Temperance Movement of the Americans never affected Europeans too much, thank goodness... :)

Speaking for myself, alcohol is usually pretty bad; whether beer or wine, it is not pleasant. Some wines do smell or even taste good. Once I experienced a sort of sweet or spiced wine, orange in color, that was used for holy communion in a church. That was the sort of festive wine that taste more of honey than rotten apples!

I have never had enough alcohol to "loosen" my head or mind too much, so there are no opinions to give. I would like to try Cherry Brandy, for I have heard that it actually tastes of cherries...

10. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Sorry, which other thread? I've been away for a few days.

11. seagull

seagull Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Anglicans don't have many hang-ups, and most of us enjoy our beer and wine: "wine that makyth glad the heart of man".

The same goes for the RCs. The verses of Hilaire Belloc (unfortunately obsessively ant-Anglican) contain many eulatory references to good beer and wine, eg:

"But Catholic men who live upon wine
    "Are deep in the water and frank and fine;
    "Wherever I travel I find it so,
    "Benedicamus Domino".

On the other hand, a Methodist I knew would never take Anglican communion because the wine contained alcohol!! (as it did at Cana and at the Last Supper). That to me is pretty close to blasphemy.

Non-alcoholic communion wine is never on offer at the church I attend.

12. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Jesus did his first miracle turning water into wine:
    Jesus told the servants, “Fill the jars with water.”So they filled them to the brim.
    “Now draw some out,” He said, “and take it to the master of the banquet.”They did so, 9and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not know where it was from, but the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, “Everyone serves the fine wine first, and then the cheap wine after the guests are drunk. But you have saved the fine wine until now!”Jesus performed this, the first of His signs, at Cana in Galilee. He thus revealed His glory, and His disciples believed in Him.” (John 2:7-11)

Temperance, as in the movement was not started by Christ.

13. Jeffg

Jeffg Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Lutherpalian
    Interesting line of commentary. I do wonder if there are any "official" opinions regarding wine for communion for those who cannot drink alcohol, i.e. the alcoholic in recovery. From what this thread says, Methodist use grape juice or whatever. I've been to church services where it's offered, and the underlining reason being that many people in said congregation are recovering alcoholics.

14. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    I myself abstain from alcohol except im the Eucharist. For me, when the Blessed Sacrament is admistered, the alcohol is still present but it serves in a sacred act unlike for the purpose of drowning sorrows. In point of fact, the Cup of the Lord’s Supper gives us joy, that Iesus has offered Himself up as a sacrifice for our sins and poured His blood over our iniquities.

Most recoverying alcholics as far as I know subsitute grape juice. Since wine typicslly is femented grapes, it serves well to give unfermented grape juice to those who cannot have alchole.

15. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I am a big fan of gin and whiskey, specifically Hendricks/Bombay for the former and a variety of Scotches and bourbons for the latter. Regrettably I am not very educated on wine, though I prefer reds. Beer I have little opinion on.

16. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I am not a big drinker, but I am one who does enjoy quality.

I can no longer drink most beers due to having been diagnosed (by a medical professional, not web quackery) with celiacs. BUT...when I did....
    I really dubbels and tripels, and whitbeers. Specifically, I enjoyed Duvel, most of Unibroue's offerings, especially La Fin Du Monde, Chimay's offerings (especially Cinq Cents), and all of the actual Trappist beers (Westmalle, Westvleteren, ets.).

As far as wine - I enjoy a good reisling, Moscato and chards that are not heavily oaked for the whites, and I enjoy almost all the reds. I blame my Italian (not Italian American) wife for this. :) Also, our best friends are actually wine reviewers and I've gotten used to "Here, try this" and trusting them.

I greatly enjoy Scotches, whiskeys and Ports as well. In my current inventory I have Talisker, Aberlour, Craggenmore, Oban andNikka Taketsuru Pure Malt as well as a Taylor Fladgate port.

Having written all this, I feel I need to add, I have, usually, at most one drink a week.

JoeLaughon and Fidei Defensor like this.
  17. Edmundia

Edmundia Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic (Tradition
    On Jordan's Bank the Baptists cry
    If I were Baptist so would I
    They have no wine, they have no fun
    I'm glad I am an Angli-cun

(Last line can be changed to: I'm glad I'm Catholic and Rom-un

I stay clear of most spirits, except some whisky and enjoy sherry, wine (lots of cheap stuff) and port (when I am given it).

18. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    God made Wine to make the hearts of men glad (Plaam 104:15), however, the apostle said “Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.” (Ephensians 5:18). Drinking is not a sin, drunkenness is a sin, and has consequences:

48But suppose that servant is wicked and says in his heart, ‘My master will be away a long time.’ 49And he begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50The master of that servant will come on a day he does not anticipate and at an hour he does not expect.51Then he will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 24:48-51).

↗️These words of Christ keep me sober and wanting to drink booze on moderation. O_oO_oO_o

19. Edmundia

Edmundia Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic (Tradition
    Everything in moderation - even moderation sometimes. Temperance and self control are virtues that we all need to work at. That includes the internet, so I must stop now.

20. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Don’t become to monastic, or else we may not hear from you. :)