Resources for talking to Neo-Pagans

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Fidei Defensor, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hello everyone,

I woukd like any advice and resources you have for talking to Neo-Pagans, people who worship the Norse gods of Oiden, Thor and etc. Since some of the churchmen like St. Columba and etc dealt with paganism, any literature on them would help too.

I have met two neo-pagans today, one of who is a Druid. They have issues with the Church (particularly the dark chapters of Rom an Catholic Church). I know a guy who was religious Christian whi became Neo-Pagan, because of the scandals in RCC. I do not think He knew the Lord (John 17:3), more of a liberal Christian (its morality and religion/rites).

Ant help you can offer would be grand. Espeicslly for these two pagans who never were Christians.

2. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    I followed Norse paganism for a few years after college. Norse paganism aka Asatru / Heathenry and Druidry fall within what is known as reconstruction-ism. That presents an even greater challenge than the other forms of paganism because at the heart of the religion is a drive to reclaim what was stolen or destroyed by Christianity. That results in distrust all the way to open hatred of Christianity as a foundational element of the belief system.

The typical means of evangelization probably won't work and very likely would have the opposite effect in driving them further away. Honestly the best thing to do would be to pray for them and ask others to pray too. Also be an example by showing Christ's love through your actions. Be kind and respectful and if they have questions about your faith then answer them honestly without coming across as judgmental or superior.

I hope that helps and I'll be praying for all of you.

Fidei Defensor likes this.
  3. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Fidei Defensor likes this.
  4. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    In my conversation with the modern oagans, I observed just what you said, they see the Church (mainly Roman Catholic) as an enemy of their heritage and culture and guilty of genocide. I let them know I was Christian but told them, “I do tespect other cultures and will nof be disrespectful of your beliefs, I understand religion shapes and makes a persoj’s identity.” When they went into a pagan-homily of the evils and hypocrisy of the Roman Chirch, I told them Jesus was furious at the church of his day (Jews: Pharisees and Sadducees., and common Jews), calling their leaders “You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you. These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.” (Matthew 15:7-9), “You snakes! You brood of vipers! How will you escape being condemned to hell?,” (Matthew 23:33), and “ou belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies..” (John 8:44). This seemed to peak their inferest, that Jesus hates hypocrisy too.

Spiritus likes this.
  5. Fidei Defensor

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    I’ll take a look, thanks! :)