Help?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by David W, Mar 4, 2019.

1. David W

David W New Member

United Kingdom
    Dear All

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm a bit at my wits end.

I've made four attempts to contact responsible people in the CofE to start my journey towards baptism, including both local parish churches and Southwark Cathedral. I also went to an advertised morning service. None of my emails have been answered and the service simply didn't happen.

It's galling when you read of declining numbers in the CofE that I very much want to join but no one wants to speak to me!

I know labels are not always helpful but I lean towards liberal Anglo Catholicism. And while I wish no disrespect I find Alpha rather lightweight.

If anyone wants to advise me on what I do next I'd be grateful. I live in South East London.

Thanks for your time.

David

2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    If there was no morning service as scheduled, and no one has responded to your emails, my first thought is... perhaps the rector has left this church abruptly, or had a death in the family, or died... or something else catastrophic has occurred in the parish. "Stuff happens." Is there another church within reasonable distance that you might contact instead?

3. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Have you tried visting a parish, and speaking with a rector or priest in person to discuss your desire to partake of Sacrament of Baptism?

4. Alex86

Alex86 New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Considering Anglicanism
    You could try emailing or filling out the online contact form for your diocese, and if that fails a neighbouring diocese, or on the website of a more active looking church.

I just got a response within a day after filling out the contact form on my diocese website regarding the same subject as yourself, whilst an email I sent to my nearest cathedral (in a different diocese) still hasn't been answered a few days later.

Or approach a priest after a Sunday service (although personally I'd find that hard).

Or, since you live in London, visit another Anglican cathedral or a major church which is open a lot and ask to speak to someone.

Or, I guess, try phoning a priest. Or tweeting them.

Did you manage to get hold of someone in the end?

Regards,

Alex Wright

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  5. Edmundia

Edmundia Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic (Tradition
    I would have thought that Southwark Cathedral would have a duty priest on most days - most Cathedrals do. If you are near Southwark and are happy with an unashamedly Anglo-Catholic atmosphere, although you say you are "liberal", you could walk over the bridge to St Magnus the Martyr,London Bridge; they have a daily Mass at about 12.15 and the priest is always around, available, very friendly and approachable: Fr Philip Warner.

6. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    David ... We haven't seen a response from you. Hopefully some of these suggestions have helped. Please let us know if you've made any progress, if you're still following this thread.