4 months in Anglicanism, new here

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Rexlion, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Hi folks. I'm Michael. Not to be confused with the archangel, obviously. :p At least, not since the dry cleaners lost my wings. :laugh:

I was dyed-in-the-wool Roman Catholic until my late 20s. Then the Lord set up a divine appointment for my wife & myself with her aunt & uncle. The latter had recently gotten 'on fire for God' and left the RCC for Assemblies of God. We ran into them on a camping trip to the shore of Lake Superior, hours away from both their home and ours. The biting black flies were bad along the shore that day, but amazingly there were none at that particular campground, so we got a campsite together. Her aunt and uncle were fun to visit with, and they talked about God as if He were their best friend. It awoke a hunger in me to have that sort of close personal relationship with Him as well. My wife and I started watching TBN on tv and began attending an A/G church. We grew in Bible understanding by leaps and bounds in a short space of time.

Then about 6 years later the Lord led us to move 1000 miles away by faith, no job in hand, to the Tulsa area. He led me to a type of work that has been a blessing to us for two and a half decades, and we attended a 'word of faith' Bible school. We were members of the church associated with that school for many years, then spent some time in 2 other non-denoms and then 1 A/G.

But those churches all have "modernized" to the point where it felt to me like I was attending a show. More loud music with guitars and drums, more poor song lyrics, less of the solid Bible teaching that I'd come to expect, and no traditional hymns (which are often so rich in meaning as well as melody). I was complaining to the Lord a bit about this for several months and saying, "isn't there someplace better?" As I scanned an online list of local churches one day, my eyes fell upon the name of this one Anglican church... and I felt joy and peace leap inside me. Whoa! This couldn't be from my flesh or my brain; I'd never wanted to attend another liturgical church. This had to be the leading of the Holy Spirit! I even tried to reason my way out: Look, Lord, there's another Anglican church even closer to my house; why this other one instead of that one? But I knew where He was leading me, so I thought okay, I'll try them out. And that Sunday when I attended, it felt so right. Like coming home. So I made time later in the week to sit down with the pastor (who is very down-to-earth) to ask some hard questions and get to know him a bit. And although I'm still working through a few small issues in my mind (such as the statue of Mary in the sanctuary), I'm feeling more and more like I'm taking root in this new church family. :yes:

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Hi Rexlion. Welcome from the resident Anglican heretic. :laugh: Good old CofE me and pleased to remain so, though I have experience of many other denoms as well.

Hope you enjoy your stay here and add to the interesting discussions.

3. jschwartz

jschwartz New Member

Don't worry about the image of Mary in the sanctuary. This church is doing things the way the Church has been doing things since the 3rd century. I left the RCC as a young adult because of fundamental differences in aesthetics, social teachings, and I also disagreed with many RC doctrines. My understanding of the Catholic Church came to encompass a view of the Church that embraces East and West, and which sees Anglicanism as the best expression of both of these. I also think we're in a unique ecumenical position; via media can bring together, spiritually and intellectually, those who lean to either Protestant or Catholic expressions of the faith. Pray, pray, pray, and study to show yourself approved. That's my two cents.

4. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I'm considering joining the Anglican church. We only have two small traditional Anglican churches here in Nevada. But they're there. I love the BCP and the more traditional hymns as you do, the formality, etc. but could not be an RCC or Orthodox due to doctrinal differences. But yes, welcome.

mediaque and Stalwart like this.
  5. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Welcome!

6. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Thanks, all of you. :cool:

7. Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor Active Member

Kingdom of Heaven
    Religion:
    Christian
    Welcome to the Forums Rexlion. Thank you for sharing your personal faith journey. There are some common features in my own journey. I am so happy (Romans 12:15) that you have followed the Holy Spirit’s leading and have been blessed.