Anglican beads

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by Desiring God, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Desiring God

Desiring God New Member

Religion:
    Anabaptist
    I was wondering if anyone else uses Anglican beads ?

2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    ? What are 'Anglican' beads? Do you mean a rosary? They are more RC than Anglican, but can be an aid to prayer if you need that sort of thing. Not in my CofE tradition though, even though I can cope with fairly high church bells and smells.

Peteprint likes this.
  3. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
  4. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I've used the Anglican version of the rosary. I'm also aware of Lynn Bauman's history as a molestor. However, we should not let that stop us from using the Anglican version of the rosary if possible. If you need me to recommend you some decent Anglican rosaries that are not too ugly or expensive, let me know.

5. Routa

Routa New Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Complicated
    Why do you feel Lynn Bauman's rosary should be used instead of similar versions?
    Simply because he was Anglican?

I am curious. Thanks.

6. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    What other option is there? It's a combination of the Orthodox rope and Dominican rosary. There's many different kinds of rosaries, like the decades, rings, etc. and the Anglican tradition is open to both forms of devotion and practice. In all honesty, I find literary devotions much more constructive and stimulating than the rosary.

7. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I do. There's a decent book on it.

8. jschwartz

jschwartz New Member

The Anglican rosary, essentially a chaplet, is a fine devotion. However, I am baffled as to why Episcopalians and Anglicans object to the Dominican Rosary. The Rosary centers around events in the life of Christ, His birth, ministry, and Passion, as well as events in the life of Mary, the Mother of God. It is a devotion that includes Scriptural events; the Hail Mary is scriptural (the latter part of the prayer, asking for Mary's intercession, is a later edition in the life of the Church, but what is objectionable to asking for Her intercession? We ask other people to pray for us all the time. Certainly we could ask the same of the Theotokos), and the Lord's Prayer and Creed are part of it.

I utilize a Scriptural Rosary, and also incorporate Collects from the BCP for each mystery. Would be happy to share.

9. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    You have a good point. The Dominican rosary does in fact have a consistent, established tradition based on the mysteries, as does the Orthodox rope. But the Anglican version is highly arbitrary. I don't know at times what exactly is the best way to pray it, and most of the prayers in this one Anglican Rosary prayer book I have are all over the place. Nice to have a tradition and familiarity as seen in the rope and dominican rosary.

10. jschwartz

jschwartz New Member

That's why I don't generally use the Anglican rosary. I prefer the traditional rosary with the addition of Scriptures and BCP collects.